building a bike for under a £100

Bitd one of my workmates decided to see how cheaply he could build a decent bike for. He managed to do it for £10 and that was using a Cannondale frame he found at the dump. It had a snapped chainstay and the paint was flaking off (like they used to). He had the frame re-welded and polished up which was the £10 cost. Everything else he got out of the bin. Took him about a year to do, but he managed it!

I bumped in to him the other day and asked him about the bike and he said he's still got it!

Easier with single-speeds - I've got a SS mtb that is coming in at around £60 (can't get wheels any cheaper or it would be a lot less) and a fixed that cost just over £100 in total. You can also factor in money you get back from selling the geared bits.

In fact I get more fun out of seeing how good something can be with minimal outlay (then again I am from Yorkshire).

Don't repaint, just touch up with smoothrite!

I have very low standards and would ride any bike in a public place so a sub £100 build is childishly easy.

Sub £25 build is more of a challenge, I won shonkiest bike at SSUK08 on such a steed that still managed a lap of the Drumlanrig race circuit :D

You need to define the parameters of such a build to decide its ease.

If it wasnt for the likes of us bumping up the prices of old \ retro bikes then this task would be easy.

If you could all stop buying any Pace bits or Litespeeds ill soon sort myself a sub £100 build :LOL:

but thats the point yeah lightspeed and pace are right up there but
building a sub £100 bike that looks nice and weighs considerably less
than most sub £400 bikes on the market today i feel is quite a result
and built from bits most of us prob have lying around in the shed!
desperate times and all that . . .. . .... . . . . :LOL:

Bought not built - the wife's Hahanna. £80 a couple of years back from the 2nd bike section outside Leisure Lakes in Daventry.

And yeah, she's short... ;)

104_0281.jpg

Back