1987 Fisher Montare XT

No, its really quite bad Sad There are knocks and chips all over it.

Bit of touching up, bit of T-Cut :)

MikeD":1agg5w90 said:
No, its really quite bad Sad There are knocks and chips all over it.

Bit of touching up, bit of T-Cut :)

Think its well past that I'm affraid :( Had a quote for powder coating so just waiting on confirmation that they are 100% confident that they can achieve the finish I want.
Its not the cheapest quote I've had (£100 to strip and re-finish) but they come recommended by someone on here.
Got Gil_m on the case with replacement decals so hoping to make progress this week.
My boiler packed up yesterday so I kept myself warm last night by cleaning the cranks/chainrings and front wheel ;)
Great being single again and being able to have bike parts strewn across the lounge :LOL:

I guess if you're going for the box-fresh look it makes sense. I kind of like the "patina" ;-)

MikeD":2snjz3ag said:
I guess if you're going for the box-fresh look it makes sense. I kind of like the "patina" ;-)

If it wasn't my first resoration for ages, then I would probably just do my best at just cleaning up what I have.
Trouble is that I have seen so many amazing builds on this site that I want to finish up with something I am really proud of :)

makster hello, I have the exact same bike as you. Like yours I don't think the saddle is original, mine came to me with a Avocet M20 Gelflex. Good luck with your project.

DSC01055.jpg
[/img]

Saddle up":3bw9th8z said:
makster hello, I have the exact same bike as you. Like yours I don't think the saddle is original, mine came to me with a Avocet M20 Gelflex. Good luck with your project.

DSC01055.jpg
[/img]

Nice :cool:
Looks a lot nicer than mine at the moment! Looks to have everything original except the saddle.
Welcome to the site too! :D

Thanks for the welcome. I've posted a couple more pics in the "what's it worth?" thread. This is one of my bikes that I'm constantly debating selling. Maybe you can assist with determining it's value.

Right, bit of an update...
Due to having ad biblical problems with my flat (flooding and rat infestation!), the Fisher had taken a back seat for the last few weeks.
A lack of funds had even made me consider just selling the parts and using the money elsewhere :oops:
However, I have found a place that are going to strip and powder coat the frame for £20! Not sure how its going to work out, but think I haven't got much to loose here.
Going to hold fire on ordering the decals from Gil until I have seen how well the frame comes out.
The chap doing it does motorbike stuff all the time so he should do a decent enough job.
Dont think he will match the colours exactly, but this has turned into a credit crunch special ;)
Been busy stripping the headset races from the frame tonight, and it goes to the coaters on Tuesday morning.
I'm slowly working my way through the components and giving them a damn good clean. Will start with the polishing next week so will add some pics then.
Have just bought an 1989 Jamis Dakota too (had one when I was at school and have been searching for one on a daily basis since finding this site) which makes it 5 bikes I have bought since joining retrobike less than a year ago :shock:

Right ,mr credit crunch special

Am I too late . is that next Tuesday ?
What is wrong with you .( In fact you all need to have a word with yourselves)
In the pictures on here it looks really cool . If you must gain plaudits off here simply take some photos leaning against a tree or something suitably arty ,and then photoshop the dodgy bits. Honestly. It looks ace as it is . I'm a big Fisher fan . My mate had a HKEK in 87 when I had the Courier. They were cool as . Still are.
This is what will happen:
It will not turn out looking as good as the original. The stickers will not be quite right . Some really knowledgable twonk like me will say " Oh , shame it's not the right shade of ......",or " the grips had a different ,blah blah blah..."
Ok ,so you get Michaelangelo to paint it and someone says " yea ,but the paint was never actually THAT well done ...." ,so it's still wrong.
And then if you get it absolutely spot on there'll always be one component that lets the rest down. It never stops .
Maybe that's the point.
Bastards.
Do this :
Spend a silly amount of money on some nice NOS skinwall tyres and let that be your only indulgence. Put them on . Fit some new cables and brake pads. Generic foam grips look quite retro.
Ride the goddamn thing.
Accept it's flaws as a patina of a life . Lived.
I have a coooolllleeeecccctttttiiiiioooonnnnn of modern bikes thiiiiis big. Really good ones made of plastic with bouncy bits ,but I never ever have as much fun as when I'm riding my Muddyfox courier wearing my flouroescent shirt . I thought about going down the full renovation route ,but as with other resto's I have done ,you just end up frightened of marking that impossible to source bit or something something.

Honestly . Ride it .
Or sell it to me . And I'll ride it. If it's a 19" .
I'd rather have a CR7 though.And I have no money.

Sorry for using the B word ,but these bikes deserve to be ridden.
http://alans-bikes.blogspot.com/2008/06/vintage-ride.html
Sermon . Endeth

Attachments

• me,back of pike.'80s.jpg
    me,back of pike.'80s.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,365
Back