Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

I must admit, I didn't check this thread out because it was a Bear Valley...

But wow! I'm glad I did! Incredible rebuild! :cool:

not a big fan of marin , so did not bother with this thread till today .

what a mistake !!!!

excellent work , I wish I had same patience and talent . :D

Still looking totally amazing :cool:

I can see a possible market for those stainless steel ferrules as well, very tasty. I for one would have a set of them ;)

This threads got busy all of a sudden :shock: Thanks for all the comments :D

jez-4-bikes-max":3ao5dyvb said:
I must add though ----> its only a "Bear Valley"....is it worth it for all the time spent on every nut and bolt?

...but I do know what its like to rebuild for nostalgic reasons rather than value etc.. :)

I knew someone was going to say it sooner or later, and I bet there are a few thinking it :LOL:

‘In my opinion’ yes, it is worth it ! Most of my reasoning for this is in the first post of this thread. When I started the build it was my only bike (although I have since acquired another FOC from my brother that I will probably do up for my GF and for use off road) so I wanted to build it the best I could and make it individual / personalized at the same time.

I know that the re-plating / re-anodizing etc is not a viable option for most bike builds but bear in mind my main hobby is a kit car build. This has been having items re-plated and re-anodized so the bike bits have been getting thrown in with the same batches which keeps the cost down somewhat.

For the new bits I have made the materials are cheap and again normally bought in larger quantities then I need for the car build (last lot cost me £10 something for half a meter each of 12mm SS and 20mm ally). The only real cost is my time when I stay on at work. Even that isn’t too bad as I am office based and finish at 4:00 - I can go down to the workshop for a couple of hours and still be home in time for home and away :LOL:

It just seems that it is in my nature that when I set my mind on doing something I will do it to the best of my ability regardless of the time & patience it may take.

Hopefully at the end of it all I will be able to look at the bike and know 100% that there are no bodges, no corners cut and no other like it !

Either that or I have a touch of OCD … :LOL: :LOL:

bduc61":2g2052bw said:
I take the liberty to add a link to a quite similar renovation happening in France on a rockrider ( sold by the big decathlon sports shop chain)

with a nearly similar attention to detail.

Well most of you might not master Moliere's language to understand it all but there are a lot of pictures ;)

Biker own thread

Forum thread - maybe easier to follow as pictures are included

Some great work on there :cool:

The lathe and emory is bringing me out in a sweat :LOL:

cchris2lou":22ffl323 said:
I wish I had same patience and talent . :D

Talent ? the main ingredient is defo patience … ;)

I am quite sure that with a sizeable dose of it (and the removal of monthly hormones :twisted: ) I could have guided my GF to do all the above to the same standard :D

WD :D

Latest posts

Back