20 Questions / Cannock Chase

I did a couple of laps of "the dog" this sunday and thought that people were friendly enough, had the usual mid ride banter with a few people and even got a few smiles as people rode past me when I was on the floor after clipping a tree.

Were you wearing a red top?

I went riding in Dalby at the weekend and found most people to be friendly enough,apart from the guy who wouldnt let me past on one of the funnest sections who then let out a groan as he realised I was on a singlespeed and his £5000 supersled was doing him no favors :twisted:
In general I've found if you make the first effort to say hi most riders respond in a positive manner,even on the road!

Why the assumption that everyone on bikes must be mates? Do you wave at every car you pass as you drive to work?

8lezard":13gotcl7 said:
Why the assumption that everyone on bikes must be mates? Do you wave at every car you pass as you drive to work?

No, I don't drive a Citroen 2CV... :)

I used to drive an MGB and waved to other MGBs - it was more to congratulate each other that we'd got the damn thing working.

When I "upgraded" to a Scirocco (I no longer had a garage and needed a daily car) it took me a while - and a few funny looks - to stop waving at MGs!

As more folk have taken to the trails I have come to accept being ignored by some though most still say 'hello'. My current bugbear is the dipping of lights. We all dip our beams in cars when approaching other road users at night but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times folk have dipped their mega-lamps whilst riding on the trails back from work. So far as I know all modern, fancy lamps have a low setting so why not use it when passing other riders?

The grump in me is waiting for The Next Big Thing to come along and sweep all the feckwits away from 'my' hobby/job.

Back