My first build and i got the bike for free, now i need help!

Hey

Ah, i am glad you said that. I was really chuffed when i got that headset but i had no idea who it was from and felt really bad as i didnt know who to thank. Brilliant, thank you so much. Posting pics in the next 30 mins so come back and have a look where i am so far.

Hi Guys

To be honest i am still waiting for a pair of forks. Once i have these, which i cant really nag about as they are being given free i can finally get the build going. I have all of the parts sat on my floor so i really am just waiting for the forks to complete the build pic by pic.

Does anyone know of any, i need 1 1/4 inch steerer which i know is rare. I could do 1' and get a shim.

Can anyone help as i have to be honest i am gagging to get this done?

mazdaman1980":34lr3y43 said:
Does anyone know of any, i need 1 1/4 inch steerer which i know is rare. I could do 1' and get a shim.

Pretty sure the 93 onwards Proflex's were 1 1/8, only early ones were 1 1/4.

thecannibal":26610dbo said:
mazdaman1980":26610dbo said:
quote]

How would you use a shim? I'm intrigued.

The shims are just collars that fit between the steerer tube and headset races, not sure about shimming a 1" steerer out to 1 1/4 though, usually it's 1" to 1 1/8 or 1 1/8 to 1 1/4

This shimming business sounds a little dodgy. How does one deal with the crown race? I can't see how you'd get an acceptable interference fit without a lot of play there.

I've worked in service-based bikes shops for a few years but have never encountered this. Is it more of a retro-bodge than a proper solution for a properly ridden mtb?

Back