Memory needs help with ID of old BMX

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Hello
When I was a lad ( sorry just always wanted to start a story with that) back in Australia I was in my first year of high school and traded my near new dragster on a mongoose bmx frame from a friend whose brother then sold me a set of wheels etc.
It was all very dodgy and in hindsight it was probably stolen as the wheels and stuff they sold me fit straight back on as though it was always there. My dad did make me check with the local police stations if anyone had reported one missing as these were not something anybody had seen before. Especially for a kid like me, I rode everywhere, everyday either bike or skateboard but was not one of the cool kids really, or well off enough to have this. My mum and dad had to pay off my dragster leading up to Christmas.
I only had it for around 4 months before it was stolen from the bike sheds at school. But for that four months I was one of the cool kids, I was allowed on the local track with the older kids, rode it with my mates etc. Then my friend, and I now use the term loosely, sold my dragster back to me.
I should really have said that this was around 1981 maybe 82 IIRC could be slightly later but I dont think so. Things were different then with BMX really kicking off and skateboarding being at its best in the late 70s early 80s. :roll:
Anyway I have always ridden but sort of went from BMX to MTB and road and never thought about the old mongoose until last year when I seen what looked like an exact copy in Dales cycles in Glasgow. Then I spotted a similar looking machine but not a mongoose on ebay and did a bit of a search but cant now find one the same. I am just curiouse if anybody might know what sort it was.
It was fairly new when I got hold of it so lets say, allowing for dodgy memory, 81 - 83 it was cro moly, polished/chrome?, red decals and red skyways but I dont know if these were original, chrome bars and red mongoose pad. The one in Dales was very similar just not sure if it had skyways or spoked but they were red either way.
Anyhelp on ID'ing either the old or the newer one would be really appreciated.
If youve read this far without a nap, thanks ;)
Jamie

(this makes me sound really old but I'm not really........really)

Here are a couple....

Mongoose.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

Any good :?:

Thanks

Hi mate
Definately good ;)
That second one looks about right, back brake only IIRC.
When I got they wheels they just had skinwalls on but I used all my money from my paper round over the next few months to buy some red tyres and foam pads for the stem/gooseneck top bar and handlebar.
Thanks for those, any idea of the year or model name?

Cheers
Jamie

coaster tab is upto 1979
1980 had the same rear drops-no tab
-the newer style rear drop -off set ones wre upto 1982
the full looptails appear in 1983
the supergeese are usa made full chrome fat imperial tubeing
the thjin tube loopers are made in taiwan
they are made upto at least 1988, when they then are called mach one

Latest posts

Back