Falcon San Remo Equipe?

Mandobob

VCC Falcon ME
Here is an interesting one for you (few) Falcon enthusiasts out there. The latest addition to my Falcon collection. But it comes with a bit of a puzzle!

I found this Falcon on eBay and was tempted, even though it was advertised as an Olympic. The Reynolds 531 butted frame, stays and forks is painted a metallic red - similar to the SuperPro. It has a 27.2 seat tube and carries the top tube, down tube and seat tube decals which lasted from the mid 1970s to the early 1980s. The Head tube has the later foil Falcon badge without the Ernie Clements name on the bottom, which I believe was in use about 1982/83 after EC had left Falcon in June 1982.

However, the frame seems to be built with Nervex Professional lugs, which I have not seen on a Falcon built after the 1960s. Also, the lovely seat cluster is the classic San Remo Equipe detail.

Investigation of the components shows the Maillard hubs (with Rigida clincher rims) are dated March 1983, the chainset carries the Campagnolo logo which was introduced in 1983 and the top tube has brazing for the rear brake cable, the earliest record of which I can find is 1983. It was originally set up for a serious athlete with 172.5 cranks, 53/44 chainrings and a 13 - 20 5-speed Regina Oro freewheel. (Sorry about the awful saddle and the handlebar indexed changers which the last owner had added!)

So my assumption is it was made in 1983 or possibly 1984.

So the question is, is this a model 76/276 San Remo Equipe?

My own research only has evidence of that model being marketed until 1979. Factory price lists for 1980 and 1981 only show the Professional and the SuperPro at the top of their range. I know they used the name in 1986 in the USA catalogue but that is a lesser machine, below the Victory, and with a conventional seat cluster detail. Similar subsequent 1980s UK versions also appear later.

If it did not have the top tube brazing I would have thought it an early San Remo Equipe, resprayed and updated in 1983ish. The rear derailleur is 1968/69 Campagnolo Nuovo Record which is also a bit weird.

So, your thoughts folks?

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,208
  • IMG_7006.jpeg
    IMG_7006.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_7004.jpeg
    IMG_7004.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_7008.jpeg
    IMG_7008.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_7007.jpeg
    IMG_7007.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,213
  • IMG_7001.jpeg
    IMG_7001.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,210
Mix of frame designs :) lugs look a bit thick and long for Nervex but there were copies. The Wrapover stay looks San Remo but not much else does, the dropouts had the mudguard eyes removed in my era which was the 70's. Is there a number on the BB?

I would agree with you that it’s looks like a late 83 or 84 bike. I have seen copies of the 82 and 83 brochure and that bike is not in those. I have seen a couple of bikes with those lugs and graphics before but normally with a chrome fork.
Any pictures of the whole bike showing the geometry? Also would expect a 76 of that era to have reinforced seatstay bridge. Seem to recall there was a 76 in 82 looked like a pro but with a chrome fork.

Can you tell me the difference between these and Nervex Professional lugs please? I am keen to learn. I am not sure why anyone would use these lugs in 1983,

I am adding an overall image as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,185
Sorry - I can't answer any of your provenance questions, but:
1) Nice bike! (Not a colour I would have picked but it actually looks really cool!)
2) Needs a saddle-ectomy. No excuses.
3) Are you satisfied that the handlebar stem is below its minimum insertion mark?
4) You can still get hoods for that style of brake lever
5) Can anyone else hear it screaming for a pair of matching Campag friction gear levers?

Mando,
Plenty of Nervex info if you search. The length of the bottom head lug would allow a mass producer to cut the tube straight instead mitering.
Even the cheap way of 2 straight cuts would only just get the tube inside the Nervex Pro lug.

Keith

Thanks ZG862
It's just as I picked it up. I have a turbo or similar in mind for the saddlectomy - along with a correct seat pin. Equally I shall pick up some decent hoods for it.

I happen to already have a pair of braze-on Campagnolo gear levers ready to fit once I have taken that awful changer off the stem. It's probably hiding the insertion mark!

Giro Pink & was it competition to Carlton’s Giro bike at the time which was pink ?? I’d personally prefer Carlton’s Giro

Hi South-east

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM but the system has cut off my PM capability. I can receive them but not send. If you PM me an email address I can respond.

Mandobob

Back