Mavic gone tits up

To no doubt be replaced by several brand new companies with zero reputation churning out Chinese mass produced rims and charging them a fortune for.

Like those hipster frame builders straight out of a 1 year bike building course and asking 2 grand for their frames.

Re:

I'm sure the Mavic name will continue under new ownership, its a name too synonymous with cycling not to be continued.

Re:

Yowzers. I think the sadder thing is that someone bought it on the promise of invedting and taking it forward and did nothing.

Expect some Abu Dhabi investment company to step in as per colnago, they need to spend their oil money on something to protect their wealth.

Something's gone wrong if a heritage brand as iconic as Mavic can't make money in a cycling boom period when lots of MAMILs have seemingly endless amounts of cash to spend (although that may change with C19). They could have doubled/tripled prices over the last decade (like most of the others seem to have done) and you'd still get people turning up to buy.

Re:

Mavic used to be great. But now they are never my first choice of wheels. They’ve been left behind for years now

Re: Re:

d8mok":4ot3thue said:
Mavic used to be great. But now they are never my first choice of wheels. They’ve been left behind for years now

I'm curious how they ended up like this. What did they miss or fail to capitalise on?

Re:

Reading in to it they have been passed around between various owners so has the wiff of asset stripping just like Maplins.

Re: Re:

al-onestare":2ws374jb said:
d8mok":2ws374jb said:

I'm curious how they ended up like this. What did they miss or fail to capitalise on?

More expensive then others whilst not as good. Back in the past they were first choice for many but now go to a trail centre and you’ll barely see any.

DT Swiss seem most popular by far and make great rims and hubs that don’t need a special spoke that you can’t buy anywhere.

Needing special tools/parts to do simple jobs is I reckon where they’ve lost many people. I needed a spoke on my road wheels and they wouldn’t sell me one. Wanted me to send my wheel in to them. I got one off eBay. Would I buy mavic again ? Not a chance I wouldn’t even look what they offer. The Road wheels are still going strong through after 7 years of use.

Back