Suntour Cyclone II, ARX or AR rear mech pinch bolt

ZG862

Retro Guru
Before you chuck that bent/rusty Suntour mech into the bin, save the little Allen key nut and get in contact. I can turn it into money + happy people. :mrgreen:

Z

Thanks to Hamster's top tip, I have a pair of cheapo V-brake pads on the way, though I'm still interested if anyone has the Suntour part as it will save me breaking all my drill bits modifying a bolt to accept the cable through it. I do have one original bolt to copy, but have 2 mechs that need them.

Turns out cheapo V-brake pads are M6 thread whereas the Suntour bolt is smaller. Will get the thread gauges out at some point and find out the spec. Should have done this first.
It may be possible to adapt the brake pad parts at a pinch. A pinch. Geddit? :D

The original part is M5 x 0.8 - the same as a Weinmann brake pinch bolt. This may be my new starting point along with some M5 threaded connectors.
Unless I turn up an original Suntour part (still wanted if you have one), I'll let you know how I get on...

Well I have a solution, but since I'd still like to compare it with the real thing, I'll leave this thread open.

The solution is to use M5 threaded wood inserts as found here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M5-M6-WOOD-I ... 2749.l2649 and then carefully grind off the outer spiral thread with the bench grinder. A little shortening is also required (from the internally threaded end - the hex is pretty shallow) but the result is spot on and works like a dream.
I also modified a Weinmann pinch bolt with the bench grinder to copy the pattern of the one Suntour one that I have. This is a little more tricky since the Suntour bolt is threaded further down the shank than the Weinman, leaving not a great deal for the nut to hang on to. To help matters, I added a small washer on the outboard side, that allowed me to leave the bolt with a little more length than the original part - at the expense of a little aerodynamic advantage where the nut sits a little higher up.
If anyone needs to follow the same route get in touch as I have a scribbled sketch with the critical dimensions.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back