The Viking Saga NOW SOLD

chickendrumsticks

Senior Retro Guru
Frame No. is 130685 from a picture seller sent - but the five is indistinct - looks like only the bottom half got stamped

and here's the Nervex ID, again stamped under BB. I wonder if the 59 means 1959? EDIT - no it's the bottom angle of the lugset. http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... ervex.html

From a Viking info site I believe it is probably a Severn Valley? Any further help appreciated.

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 2,768
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2,768
Re:

Well, there are...but I don't own it just yet! Once I've snaffled it there'll be more to come.
It bears this headbadge said to date "1960 on" and used on Mileater, Track and Severn Valley

This is the seat tube transfer

and this the chainwheel

It has Benelux drop outs and a lamp bracket on the front fork. I think the lugs are Nervex pro

see also this headtube pic for the lugs

Sadly there's no model transfer on the top tube as is usual -- at least I can't see it.

I should add that on the Viking Register there's a frame number 130682 confirmed (?) as a Severn Valley of around 1962.

Attachments

• v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2,742
  • v4.JPG
    v4.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,742
  • v5.JPG
    v5.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,743
  • v6.JPG
    v6.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,742
  • v7.JPG
    v7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,741
Re:

Well readers, I bought it. Should be winging its way here next week. One or two more pics from the sellers listing: much, if not all, appears to be original. Look at that chainset (Williams?) and tons of "V" badged nuts too. Who doesn't love nice nuts?

I'll add some pics of the whole thing when it gets here. I still believe it's probably a "Severn Valley" so that's even better. Or could be a Tour of Britain? Or a Mileater?

Attachments

• v5.JPG
    v5.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,671
  • v9.JPG
    v9.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2,671
  • v10.JPG
    v10.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,671
  • v11.JPG
    v11.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,671
  • v12.JPG
    v12.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,671
Re: HELP with identity of a Viking

Gut feeling says it’s a Severn valley....looks like a good buy though

Re:

Thanks Nob. I agree, and I haven't seen one in such original and complete condition - apart of course for the new rear changer. That'll have to go...I wonder what the original would have been? A Huret? A Benelux - given that I think the lever is one.

If it's got Cyclo rear ends then the mech would probably be a Benelux Mk 7, the DT lever with braze on Cyclo boss confirms this. I had a Severn Valley in the early/mid 60's and raced on it for a season or two. Nice frames.

Old Ned":24s4l53k said:
If it's got Cyclo rear ends then the mech would probably be a Benelux Mk 7, the DT lever with braze on Cyclo boss confirms this. I had a Severn Valley in the early/mid 60's and raced on it for a season or two. Nice frames.
Yes, thanks Old Ned, the script on the rear end appears to say "BENELUX CB DESIGN" or summat, the lever is Benelux too and there's a brazed on boss.

I had an Ian Steel BITD, a hand me down from my dad who'd bought himself an SV! He later sold it, bypassing me.

Benelux Mk 7 eh? I'm scared to search for one for sale - silly prices I'll bet..

Can't tell 100% but those hubs might be the earlier round hole Normandy. They were mid 50s and supposedly better quality than the later oval holes ones.

Back