Computer files backup options?

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
What are folks using to backup valued info such as photos and other files nowadays?

I've simply got a couple of external HDs which I transfer stuff onto periodically, but these are only 2TB each, which at the moment is enough space. However I've recently had a couple of instances when either drive has threatened to pack up (especially when transferring drives between computers). Now wondering on other options which don't break the bank.......

I don't have any Apple stuff and don't particularly want to.

:D

What do you mean by threatening to pack up exactly? and are you using, mechanical or solid state? mechanical can be fixed if they stop working, usually something really simple. No medium lasts forever though so wise to back up onto other mediums now and again.

Personaly i use hard drives, internal are cheaper and can buy an enclosure cheap if you really need a case for it.

Mark

Re:

I have mechanical ones.

have thought about the internal option before- what sort of connector/power supply do they need?

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2pxpqeta said:
I have mechanical ones.

have thought about the internal option before- what sort of connector/power supply do they need?

They need a SATA to USB cable, 3.5 drives, out of desktops, need power as the USB isnt enough so look for an enclosure with power supply, much the same as your External one i should imagine. If you go with a 2.5 drive though, out of laptops, you can run them off the USB port so no external power needed.

Now that everyone is after SSD's you can get good external 2.5 drives pretty cheap nowadays. I use internal a lot as i have had a few laptops and desktops and when they get old i just take the Hard drive out and use that for backup, i dont keep pluging them in though to transfer data, just put a load of stuff on there and forget about them, last a lot longer then.

Mr Panda":bo2xt9em said:

Some USB devices need extra power, one of the two plugs is for Data and power, the other is for power only. If you popped the Hard drive out of an old laptop then you simply plug the SATA plug into it and the USB into your pc or laptop and it reads it as an external drive, a good way to recover files off a laptop that doesnt boot up anymore. You can wipe the drive and use it just as a back up drive, then like i said you can buy a cheap enclosure for it and carry it about with you. You will see a lot of external hard drives for sale on ebay which are just that, some old hard drive out of a pc/laptop and someone has just bought a cheap enclosure off amazon and popped the drive in and sell it for price of an external.

Thats another thing, amazon seems to be cheaper for enclosures and cables.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Mr Panda":2dieu0el said:
What are folks using to backup valued info such as photos and other files nowadays?
Online storage, by and large. There are pros and cons but, for many people, the convenience (e.g. automatic backup of phone photos) outweighs the cons (e.g. online storage providers changing their terms and conditions). There are advantages to using your own external hard drives (although, obviously, it's a good idea if they can be kept in a secure location that is somewhere other than where your computer, laptop, etc. are) but if you're wondering about what current trends are, online storage is probably the answer.

I use Blu-ray. There is a special archive-quality writable disc called M-disc which has extra durability in its dyes etc.

CassidyAce":30q4xe36 said:
Mr Panda":30q4xe36 said:
Online storage, by and large. There are pros and cons but, for many people, the convenience (e.g. automatic backup of phone photos) outweighs the cons (e.g. online storage providers changing their terms and conditions). There are advantages to using your own external hard drives (although, obviously, it's a good idea if they can be kept in a secure location that is somewhere other than where your computer, laptop, etc. are) but if you're wondering about what current trends are, online storage is probably the answer.

:LOL: You mean someone elses computer? why? do you think they store your photos anywhere different than you can? Personally i would prefer to store my valuable items myself.

hamster":30q4xe36 said:
I use Blu-ray. There is a special archive-quality writable disc called M-disc which has extra durability in its dyes etc.

Used to use discs, not really looked into blu-ray, how much data can you get on them?

mkone":34adueud said:
hamster":34adueud said:

Used to use discs, not really looked into blu-ray, how much data can you get on them?

25GB.
It's OK for collections of completed work (i.e. the finished album of keepers); I use the HDD for the rest (i.e. all the photos taken in a session unedited)

Back