90s dura ace, what frame?

Re:

I know! I never said it was going to be helpful for peoe offering advice but it's true. I have seen a 7700 full set in what looks like decent order for not too much money and it got me thinking about what it would fit on, the obvious choice being US post office a la TDF, but was interested in others thoughts.

Re:

My preference would be for a Cannondale Caad 4 / 5 or a Principia Rex with an anodised finish. The era of oversized aluminium tubes with traditional horizontal top tube geometry (before bikes went ugly)

jordic1968":9lyv8h4i said:
All these bikes are great bikes. Choosing for a new project is not easy , but that's part of the fun ;) Sometimes I've learnt a lot doing this exercise.

If it helps you, what I do in my case is to give more importance to a sum of factors like the brand I'm a fan of, for whatever reason , (Pinarello is mine), a particular rider or team, ...than just THE FRAME.

In summary, I like bikes I'm proud riding on a Sunday and not because they ride well, or are particularly light, or ... So when I'm riding my (heavy) Montello , I feel like Perico Delgano winning the Tour , or like Ulrich with my Pinarello Paris...

Of course if you are a big collector and have plenty of money, that's another story, but that works for me as I have limited budget and space.

What I wanted to say is that early trek oclv frames are iconic and very nice, but as said, mainly because of HIM, I thing there are other iconic bikes I'd choose first and a Colnago C40 (or a Master... ) will be one of them. Are you more towards italian brands, french, british, ... bikes ? that can also help you to choose.

Ah yes the Colnago Master; now that's a frame and a half. For me the most beautiful frame ever. From a heritage point, it is quite an important frame as it was the last steel frame that Colnago made that was used by the elite pros, so it is the 'last hurrah' so to speak.

Going back to fitting Dura-Ace 7700 to a frame - it would look good on this frame as well. Dura-Ace 7700 is arguably the last really nice looking groupset that was ever produced by anyone; with Dura-Ace now being based on a black finish which looks, well, a bit low rent really, and Campagnolo Record; well, the latest 12 speed is probably the ugliest groupset I have ever seen. So the older Dura-Ace looks fantastic as a result and looks at home on a steel Colnago.

Re: Re:

shredderxle":2lfi94s8 said:
My preference would be for a Cannondale Caad 4 / 5 or a Principia Rex with an anodised finish. The era of oversized aluminium tubes with traditional horizontal top tube geometry (before bikes went ugly)
I had DA 9 speed on my Rex (though had FRM CU2 cranks) and on my Raleigh Titanium they were original spec, the Raleigh I fitted the triple DA group and then went DT shifters for a while.

I think the 7700 is the nicest looking of all the modern Shimano groups, it all got a bit industrial with 10 speed.

Re: Re:

tonyf39":3tmxgoyh said:
I think the 7700 is the nicest looking of all the modern Shimano groups, it all got a bit industrial with 10 speed.

The 25th anniversary is even nicer. The shine on the parts is amazing. On a summers day the reflection on the road from the crankset from the sun is amazing; the glint on the hubs is just stunning.

The full groupsets are going for really good money now on Ebay; I got my group when they were being sold off for about the same price as a standard Dura-Ace groupset. Do I regret fitting it my bike? Of course not, bike components are for being used, not looked at. At least I can do both :)

Definitely, never been a wall hanger type, I had a NOS/boxed 7410 stem and seat-post (including the 27.2mm brass shim), I used them on my late 50s Carlton as part of an 8 speed Dura Ace build (though I went Stronglight 99 cranks for the lower gearing) and then sold them on when I changed the set up. Probably lost me a £100 and more by fitting them for what was about 500miles use.
I had various 25th anni parts that were going on to the Raleigh but in the end I just changed my mind plus finding mint was getting very expensive.

I'm quite happy picking parts that suit a frame and the overall look how I see it as well as functionality rather than strictly adhering to period correct components+frameset. So in terms of the OP, if the frame looks great with the components you're choosing, it's not wrong. IMHO don't feel restricted to going for period correct, just go with what you want and what pleases you/feels right.

Back