Today's ROAD ride

The History Man":1098rwag said:
That tower may be a shot tower. It was filled with water and molten lead etc dropped in the top. The water supported it as it cooled to get a round ball by the bottom.
Could be.

The is / was a huge shot tower in Bristol, but I am certain it stopped being used to make shot a god number of years ago.

I'll go and take another look at it sometime.

Today the token Jock on a few recent NW&NW rides did a solo cross border raid and took a certain Mr Bling of these parts hostage for the day...

We headed out of Penrith towards Troutbeck and climbed up and over the hills to the West of Ullssater dropping down to the lakeside for a spot of lunch at the NT cafe at Aira Force.
A brisk trot along the lakeside brought us to Pooley Bridge and then up the hill towards Lowther.

On the road up to Lowther Castle was a traditional Retrobike Church photo opportunity...which had to be taken. Obviously.

And then onto the Castle itself... A couple of young chaps were keen to gain internet fame , so heres their Retrobike "photobomb"

Too much banter for a huge wad of photos, but rest assured a cracking day out was had!

Attachments

• 20180901_132618-1024x768.jpg
    20180901_132618-1024x768.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 20180901_134624-1024x768.jpg
    20180901_134624-1024x768.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 20180901_135508_crop_754x604.jpg
    20180901_135508_crop_754x604.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,008
Yesterdays ride ….
With a forecast one day of respite between the days of rain and gale force winds over most of the north of Scotland, I managed to get the day off and head south to ride the Jack Taylor round Easter Ross and the Black Isle with fellow macretro Brian (epicycle).
When I seen the forecast yesterday I asked the boss for a well day to go riding, I wasn't sick, I was too well to come in and needed to ride in the sun before winter closed in once more. Thankfully she understands and approved it.
Weather was fantastic and a familiar route that took in some hills, quiet roads and some off road track round the Cromarty shore made the hours and miles fly by all too quickly. We stopped at a lovely café in Muir of Ord and enjoyed a coffee and a huge wedge of a brie scone for lunch which obviously was needed to keep up the energy levels.
The Super Clubman rode brilliantly as usual, handling everything in its relaxed but superb way and this is it still in it's cobbled together with spares guise. Gave me time to make up my mind regards repainting it and for the foreseeable future I am just going to keep waxing it to keep the rust at bay rather than lose Jacks original paint. I will build it up with the parts I already have set aside for it and set it up properly not just in a temporary way as it is such a nice ride already that it will be so sweet set up right.
A lovely ride in glorious weather finished with a quick coffee at Brians before the couple of hours drive home.
Well worth it though as it was a very enjoyable day with great riding, great weather as well as great company. Cheers Brian
Also the best way to break up a working week.

Jamie

DSCN5319 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5322 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5330 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5337 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5340 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5342 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5343 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5346 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5351 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5356 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5359 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5353 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

One of my favourite threads - magic.

Thanks for this, good little lift before the storms set in (ok, have just got back from 3 weeks in northern Spain).

NeilM":2c0qtpxr said:
The History Man":2c0qtpxr said:
That tower may be a shot tower. It was filled with water and molten lead etc dropped in the top. The water supported it as it cooled to get a round ball by the bottom.
Could be.

The is / was a huge shot tower in Bristol, but I am certain it stopped being used to make shot a god number of years ago.

I'll go and take another look at it sometime.
Yeah, there is one in bristol, 1970s i think, replaced an older (18th century?) one. I've visited the "new" one.

That almost certainly is one, but the deck and ladders/stairs are missing (obviuosly) there was one that looked very very similar to that near where i lived in Leics a few years ago. That "fell down in high winds" a few months before a developer put in planning permission. :evil:

I bet that felt good to be back out and on the road Foz.
Hope all has been well with you being off the bike for so long.
Where did you go?, what did you ride? where's the photos? :) :)

Jamie

here you go - nothing much, just an hour's ride around the lanes near me. Oranges are still in season!

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_131938 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20190105_131938 (Custom).jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 780
I was out this afternoon for a jaunt round the coast before meeting Heather and Caleb at a friends next to Dunnett Beach.
Weather turned nice after lunch and while I have been riding the Jack Taylor in this setup for a while I really must get round to stripping it down and changing components to more suitable pieces. With this in mind I was riding trying to figure out what to change, to make it far more usable than the Dura Ace 8 that is currently on it. I have some stuff stored away waiting but really just deciding on gearing and chainset.
Anyway it was a nice meander without really having any destination in mind when I set out.
Hope everyone else had a good one.

Jamie

DSCN5637 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5641 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5644 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5645 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back