the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Is modern tat allowed in here?

27003335577_80a4912078_c.jpg

41871378891_e4d7433226_c.jpg

Re:

^ not tat, very nice actually.

Tat is %hit at car boot sales like
broken plastic kitchen utensils as once seen on TV.

Re:

Haha thanks. Yeah, I think it’s a very nice bike, as it is mine and I built it this way, but I know some people on here are not interested in seeing any modern bikes posted, hence the jokey “tat” comment.

I'm in preparations for putting another drop bar MTB together, can I use any old road-style brake levers if I plan on using the original cantilever brakes? I think I did last time I built one, and that worked fine, but I guess I might have lucked out and used ones specifically made for canti-brakes.

Some parts are temporal, gonna get standard brake levers instead of the brifters, will swap the saddle etc.

ThomasElliott":330tv2cz said:
I'm in preparations for putting another drop bar MTB together, can I use any old road-style brake levers if I plan on using the original cantilever brakes? I think I did last time I built one, and that worked fine, but I guess I might have lucked out and used ones specifically made for canti-brakes.

New kid on the block here so hello all. Just finishing a drop bar build and have discoveed a few things along the way.

There are some road levers that are better than others i think but i am sure any drop bar road lever that suits side pull brakes will be tickety boo with cantis. Fyi i have campagnolo 9 speed veloce ergos pulling frogglegs cantis(fork mounted stop) with frogglegs cross levers and braking is excellent from both levers. Cant remember the make of pad tho.

Another thing..... the veloce 9sp levers work very well with sram x9 10 speed(exact actuation rear) front and rear mechs. The cassette is an xt 11-36 10 speed with the 11 sprocket removed so just running 9 speed at the back. Front is 34/46 and the x9 front mech shifts ok there too if mounted a little higher than the book setting to get the chain off the 34. Am going to try a 30 at some point and may lower the mech for that. I think the x9 front mech might hqve different max chainring cage options too. I found a mech with 48T stamped on the cage and it fits the 46 no probs.

Back