Apollo masquerading as GT Avalanche

Re:

And your point is?

It's an Apollo, being sold as an Apollo, with a similar frame to GT Bicycles and thousands of other Hellenic frames. I think the name is just a coincidence. Maybe.

Re:

Well, well, well. What a lot of debate about a cheap bike. And a quick Google reveals that they have been discussed before on here, with similar points being made:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;start=0

Anyway, LGF, your point seems to rest on two assumptions in particular: 1) that I didn't know that Hellenic frames are generic rather than exclusive to GT; 2) that the point I made about the Apollo being a rip-off is based on the Hellenic frame alone. In fact, neither is correct (but I loved the 'Land Wind'.) Likewise, I wouldn't assume that the use of 'GT' alone is enough to constitute a legal infringement. It's too much a part of common parlance. The bike also, very clearly says 'Apollo' on it, so it's not an attempt at counterfeit.

So, let's look at it another way. There have been very, very few Apollos that have Hellenic frames but, lo and behold, one of them just happens to have decals reading 'GT18' and 'Avalanche'. If I had been one of GT's lawyers at the time, I would really have questioned whether the combination of the three elements was a coincidence. I'm pretty sure Specialized's lawyers would have. As someone indicated on the earlier thread, perhaps there was some sort of agreement with GT. Perhaps, also, we could all agree not to engage in a bidding war for this one. :D

Good to debate with you, by the way. Let's hear the comeback.

Re:

look at this picture very carefully, then look at it again, and just to be sure keep staring until its point has been made

file.php

All of those Apollos (at least 3 models) have that gt decal and no-one will have bought one for its GT like qualities, just the usual Halfords customer.

Your energies should be devoted to something a little more recent rather than 30 years ago, people may point and stare.

Re:

You've just posted up a picture of a red Zaskar?

I don't get it.

Anyway, what have the Greeks ever done for us?

Re: Re:

BoyBurning":3tfqu3a8 said:
I don't get it.

Me neither. At a guess, GT would have trademarked the triple triangle logo, 'Avalanche' (for land-based vehicles) and their own logo, even if they could not protect themselves against all uses of 'GT'. That indicates that there was some sort of deal. Was anyone genuinely so confused that they were ripped off, thinking that they were buying a GT rather than an Apollo? Probably not. Did anyone buy one thinking that it was somehow endorsed by GT? Possibly. As I said at the beginning, it's a curiosity.

"Your energies should be devoted to something a little more recent rather than 30 years ago . . ." Good to see that a fine sense of irony is alive and well on Retrobike. :D

BoyBurning":3tfqu3a8 said:
Anyway, what have the Greeks ever done for us?

Good question. Didn't Odysseus steal the hydra's Apollo bike and then come a cropper on some rocks because he wasn't looking where he was going? Or something along those lines.

Ok, so you've chosen to ignore pretty much everything, fair enough.

Here is a 1990 GT Team Avalanche. If you can spot the one obvious engineering mistake between the two bikes you win a prize.

Now, I'm stirring my Bolognese and am inches away from the red wine, if dinner gets burnt there'll be hell to pay.

file.php

file.php

Re:

Hmmm. It's a little difficult to see on my phone but is the answer that the Apollo appears to have a tap protruding from the saddle and that makes it a touch uncomfortable to sit on?

Latest posts

Back