90 Gt team Avalanche bike,93 Gt Team Avalanche frame

Seems like a good place for me to request anyone willing to share some frame numbers to do so when their new purchases arrive 😁

I'm not sure if I have a favourite GT colour scheme, but Blue Widow is definitely one I have always loved.

GUILTY!

WAY more than I thought it would go for! :oops:

I was out the garden sorting out our cold frame as this auction was ending and went in with a very late high bid on 4G and then my eBay App froze and I had no idea if I had won it or not, not to mention how much I paid!!! 🤪

5min later I got an email notification with just how much I paid!!! Well the only other bidder played the long game with a very high early bid.

Yes I paid too much, but I’ve got a 1990 16” Team Avalanche on its way to me soon! :cool: Always lusted after this exact year/model/size and been looking for one for quite a while and there has been nothing. 18” and bigger yes, but no 16” (cue someone telling me they got one earlier this year for £200!). All pretty much original bar tyres (and probably tubes too), grips (but these are still GT/AMÉ) and rear brake blocks (Aztec as opposed to XT). These F&F were also made in Japan vs. the following year when they were built in Taiwan.

I have some period skinwalls to go on it so will just need a full strip down and rebuild which won’t happen anytime too sadly. But at least I got one at last despite paying what I did. In the past I’ve been gifted bikes and had some for very little cash and being pretty much complete saves a lot of time/money hunting parts, but understand sometimes that’s part of the fun. ;)

@Bawgixer That ’93 Team Avalanche was a far more sensible priced! 👍
Congratulations!! so glad these two TA's went to other Retrobikers!, I know you will love riding this bike.

I was watching this auction to see what it went for. I know what you mean about overpaying, but, like you, I think the bargains even out the overpayments :)

If it makes you feel better, the 18in one I recently rebuilt from a really poor, rusted and seized condition ended up costing me at least what you paid in terms of parts and and materials (and a couple of hundred hours :LOL: ) As you say, the one you bought is all original and probably good for a ride or two until you are ready to rebuild.

There cracking bikes,lovely paint on them too.
I have a 18” 90 one of them already and got a avalanche frame awhile bk,so the team avalanche frame will go well with the bravo le fram that yr.
Indeed, love the Blue Widow colour scheme. This was the stand-out model for me at the time. Bought a 1991 Avalanche and a friend had a Team Avalanche in Midnight Aurore which was a bonkers colour scheme.
Seems like a good place for me to request anyone willing to share some frame numbers to do so when their new purchases arrive 😁

I'm not sure if I have a favourite GT colour scheme, but Blue Widow is definitely one I have always loved.
Will do! I think my favourite colour scheme is Purple Haze. :cool: The 1990 Karakoram came with that. One was on here recently and only down the road from my older brother. Was SO tempted and was fully original to boot, but someone saved me by buying it... Phew!
Congratulations!! so glad these two TA's went to other Retrobikers!, I know you will love riding this bike.

I was watching this auction to see what it went for. I know what you mean about overpaying, but, like you, I think the bargains even out the overpayments :)

If it makes you feel better, the 18in one I recently rebuilt from a really poor, rusted and seized condition ended up costing me at least what you paid in terms of parts and and materials (and a couple of hundred hours :LOL: ) As you say, the one you bought is all original and probably good for a ride or two until you are ready to rebuild.
I saw the one you purchase and was very tempted, but being an 18" it's just too big so gave it a miss. I still kept looking at it though! 🤣 This one looks to be OK, but there are signs of corrosion in a few places and there are always a few surprises. Looks like someone has filed the teeth down on the side of the pedal cages for some reason? Hopefully it will arrive safely, and be straight and crack free and we'll go from there... 💪👍

I have always had a soft spot for the Team Scream colours, have yet to find a frame in 16" though.
Took me years and years and years to find a 1990 Team Avalanche in 16” then after a flurry (OK x2!) of 18” ones appearing on eBay a 16” made a very rare appearance and now it’s in my garage! 😎😃

Just keep looking! 🤞

Back