It's 1996... 7410 or 7700?

shogun

Senior Retro Guru
I'm about to commence re-re-rebuilding my '96 Specialized M2 Pro.

I can't decide between 7410 and 7700. I like the 7410 STI and some of the finishes better, and I like the ability to bring in some outside stuff like an aftermarket BB; I like the 7700 derailleur, crankset, standard 9 speed commonality and suuuuuuper neat little ti top cogs cassette. Cons for 7410 to me seem to be that good 8 speed dura ace specific drivetrain stuff (cassettes, freehub bodies) is drying up fast, as is decent 8 speed stuff like higher end chains, stodgy late 80s style hub set, and is it dated, or is it or 'classic' looking?
Cons for 7700 would be the propensity for the 9 speed brifter to wear out, very short supply of dura ace level octalink V1 bbs, and the 'newness' of the styling.
I could always mix the groups I guess, 7410 cranks with 7700 everything else could be a good mixture.

Which would you choose? Rest of the build is going to be intentionally mostly non-European, probably mostly Canadian/American.

I think I will go 7700 group minus cranks, post and hubs; use 7410 cranks, a nice Ti square taper BB, I'm shooting for American Classic, TNT or Nuke hubs from the era, and either Syncros or American Classic post.

To my mind that future proofs it a fair bit, I'll be able to get square taper bbs forever as is the case for normal HG 9 speed cassettes and 9/10spd chain. Might have to buy a couple of sets of brifters for when the 9x one inevitably flogs out.

I'd definitely avoid all things Octalink. On chains I wouldn't worry - the Shimano ones had laughably short lives. Use a KMC or SRAM (or Rohloff or Wippermann if feeling flush) and your rare cassette will last several times longer.

hamster":26a6kgxx said:
I'd definitely avoid all things Octalink. On chains I wouldn't worry - the Shimano ones had laughably short lives. Use a KMC or SRAM (or Rohloff or Wippermann if feeling flush) and your rare cassette will last several times longer.

Ah so a vote for 7410 then?

Back