Help - identifying a bottom bracket & tool?

Jam_SWorks

BoTM Winner
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Im restoring a friends nice hand made Alves MTB from 1992. The bottom bracket installed remains unidentified to date & no tool that fits it. I need to remove it and replace the bearings. Can you help suggest what it might be? and what tool might work?

So far none of my bottom bracket tools fit it (Shimano, FSA & Campag tools). Either the splines dont match or the diameter is too small for those tools. From the outside there is nothing to identify it. Ive had a suggestion today that it could be a Phil Wood bottom bracket from the USA as it has 18 splines & they use 18 splined propriety tools.

I have been to 4 reputable bike shops today in Aberdeen (Edinburgh Bikes, Alpine Bikes, Holburn Cycles & even Halfords) to challenge the mechanics to find a tool in their tool kits. Nothing fitted... :shock:

So the hunt goes on...

Can anyone here share their ideas / suggestions... what tools to consider?

Cheers :D
James

Attachments

• Alves (1).jpg
    Alves (1).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 366
  • Alves (2).jpg
    Alves (2).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 366
Afternoon JAH, Do you still have the Alves?
I've still got mine - a Reynolds 653 tubed ALVES time trial / road racing bike made June 1993. It's got a good SR Royal (an excellent copy of Campag Super Record Chainset and has a Campag Super Record 44T ring). See attached - and still for sale......
Your BB might be an SR 18 spline. I must go through my box on Bike spares and have a search for you (Springtime once I can get to the back of my garage)....

Attachments

• Alv00.jpg
    Alv00.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 3
Back