What Bike to Convert into a Cheap Tourer/Commuter?

Thanks for all the help guys, definitely a few there I hadn't considered. Just need to be patient I guess, the pickings seem to be a little slimmer up here in the North East, but I think I was being a bit impatient too. Is eBay good for finding deals or is it usually overpriced? There's a bike recycling charity called Recyke y’Bike that has a few shops nearby, that might be a good place to have a nosy.

eBay is good but real bargains are rare. Scpock is more localised and you can get a bargain but has less choice and a lot of tat to trawl through. If you get talking to a guy at the charity then ask if you can see the stuff that's in the back they haven't started working on. Make a cash offer for what you want and it's win win on both sides. I've done it myself. If you choose something that needs more than just cables which is what you want then they are more inclined to get rid cheap for a quick profit without putting any money or time in. Go in and talk bikes and tell them your looking for a project and ask what's in the back.

On a side note I got my first mountain bike for many years in may. I now have five complete. One in pieces and a couple of frames with a shed full of parts. That's not including the few I've sold along the way. So bear in mind they breed like rabbits.

Re:

That's the same frame as my Raleigh Dune Dancer . But I agree with THM , buy a complete working bike. You'll get one for about £40

Re:

'artlypool ?
There are a few of us up that end.
(I'm not quite but do ride with people on moors etc.

Why lugged. That and Ken knows all the kebab shops I believe.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1820v7ob said:
Why lugged.
I don't know in particular, I just like the aesthetics, I'm not under any impression that there's any advantage to lugged frames.

Re:

Good fun turning old mountain bikes into useful transport. Agree - go with full bike and upgrade as you go.

How about this: CroMo (Reynolds K2 - butted and splined for extra pleasure), big old head tube meaning you could go for a wicked drop bar build. Put in a cheeky offer and it would be at your door for 70 notes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Stra ... SwUlxaJ-e7

s-l600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wow, that's not bad at all. Might even be able to nip down and pick it up when I go down to my parents' in Bradford.

Back