Cleland Range Rider (RR-001 English Cycles) Highpath. 1982

GrahamJohnWallace":313bhwz1 said:
Retro Spud":313bhwz1 said:
They just don't look racey... and more akin to an off road version of a Dutch town bike to plod around the woods on
Hi Spud, I know exactly what you mean and trying to explain to a 'Mountain Biker' that a Cleland also a good design is like tying to convince a fan of rally cars that a series one Land Rover is also cool in its own way.

^That's all the questions I would've asked, and all the answers to them, in 2 short sentences :)

The first time I saw (a picture of) a Cleland, I thought it was unbelievably daft, an almost intentionally-eccentric, anachronistic design that could never have caught on. What made me appreciate them for what they were, was a short passage (can't remember where from) which drew a line between the US-based 'ATBs' which were designed to be ridden anywhere including on-road, and the Clelands which were designed to only be ridden off-road. Not to mention the fact that a pure UK-bred design wouldn't really need to cater for long, fast downhills...

Koupe":3ht9s734 said:
GrahamJohnWallace":3ht9s734 said:
Retro Spud":3ht9s734 said:
They just don't look racey... and more akin to an off road version of a Dutch town bike to plod around the woods on
Hi Spud, I know exactly what you mean and trying to explain to a 'Mountain Biker' that a Cleland also a good design is like tying to convince a fan of rally cars that a series one Land Rover is also cool in its own way.

^That's all the questions I would've asked, and all the answers to them, in 2 short sentences :)

The first time I saw (a picture of) a Cleland, I thought it was unbelievably daft, an almost intentionally-eccentric, anachronistic design that could never have caught on. What made me appreciate them for what they were, was a short passage (can't remember where from) which drew a line between the US-based 'ATBs' which were designed to be ridden anywhere including on-road, and the Clelands which were designed to only be ridden off-road. Not to mention the fact that a pure UK-bred design wouldn't really need to cater for long, fast downhills...

They don't look racey, but is that the only measure of a bicycle?

Mine isn't that bad on the road, obviously a sit up position, tyre size & pressures come into it but it is what it is, a sit up & beg steel bike.
It's funny with bicycles (you see the same thing with motorbikes), people like sports replica bikes even when it's really not that suitable for their needs & often doesn't suit their riding style but it's what they want to be seen on &/or fashionable.

I've now altered the rear brake to a sliding cam & also changed the Suntour 5 speed freewheel for a cheapy Shimano 7 speed, in doing so I've lost the 34 tooth cog (that was 18 :shock: gear inches!). So now a lowest tooth count of 28 but it's still super low with a 22 granny giving 22 gear inches. It neccessatated swapping some spacers to move the hub across sightly & dishing the wheel a bit but I now have 7 indexed gears (Shimano Delore thumb shifters) & hopefully shifting will be a bit nicer now with closer gears & Hyperglide.

The old freewheel will be mothballed & can be put back on should I decided to attempt an ascent of Snowdon.

;)

While making the rear brake a sliding cam I tried to cold bend the rear brake arm, at first I thought only the paint had cracked but the metal had actually fractured. :evil:
So here is the replacement I've made complete with go faster lightweight holes. :cool:

SZ7SWc6.jpg

Re: holy thread resurrection !!!

Going through my literature collection and seeing a Range Rider brochure (letter accompanying it dated 28/11/85 from Jeremy Torr, English Cycles Telford address).

Is he still around ?

Would there be a market for these today - new I mean ?

Cheers, in anticipation of interest and reponses.

John.

There is some information on the whereabouts of Jeremy Torr in this thread, along with lots of other gold.

As for current market, sadly I think if there was one it would be small!

Re: holy thread resurrection !!!

roadking":3t1rr0kg said:
Going through my literature collection and seeing a Range Rider brochure (letter accompanying it dated 28/11/85 from Jeremy Torr, English Cycles Telford address).

Is he still around ?
Jeremy recently responded to an email I sent him about how his box section fork crowns were fabricated. He didn't say where he is at present though it's usually some exotic location in the far east.
roadking":3t1rr0kg said:
Would there be a market for these today - new I mean ?
John.
There is some interest with regard to recreating these bikes using modern components.

From a marketing point of view a modern day version is an interesting prospect. For a start, despite the thousands of supposedly different, but surprisingly similar, long wheelbase slack geometry "trail-centre" bikes available, there is nothing vaguely similar to these bikes that you can buy. Also there are quite a few 'unique selling points' to this design, and each of these could interest a niche market of its own.

For example:
* a bike that you can ride in wet & muddy conditions that will keep you dry & clean and require little maintenance. (perfect for those that live in remote places away from even the most basic tracks and roads?)
* a bike that whose riding position is more friendly to those that suffer from back or upper-body pain. (I sometimes start riding with a sore back and it has gone by the end of the ride)
* a backpacking bike that very comfortable when ridden for long hours, day after day.
* a bike whose high riding position gives a superb view of the surroundings. I have recently been testing some a combined suspension/dropper seat-posts that make town riding a lot easier. From the high vantage point you can see over the car rooves when riding but drop the saddle for waiting at lights, mounting/dismounting etc.

With many MTB riders there is the issue, that a bicycle that is similar to those that existed before roads were commonplace, to modern eyes does not look like it is capable off-road. The reality is that old school roadsters, though heavy can often perform remarkably well when ridden off road. These Geoff Apps bikes are at heart just big wheeled BMX bikes. They are quite happy going around the local trail centre as long as you're not trying to break the course record. Though I would imagine that for the average MTB rider it would take some time to master the different way you go about clearing obstacles, steep hills, drop-offs etc.

So the target market for a modern Cleland is unlikely to be the same as that for modern mountain bikes?

Re:

My is there a market for these today is based on the idea that their might be a market for the person who doesn't want a mountainbike (hardtail, full suspension - whatever), but likes the idea of an off-road roadster: see the images on the cover of Jeremy's brochure for the Range Rider for that person.

Your examples are exactly my thing behind the question.

I'll investigate: I would buy one - I thought about it in 1985 so 35 years later I'll have one !!!

PM me if you wish for more thoughts about building one.

Rk.

Re: Re:

roadking":2rirp0xp said:
…. see the images on the cover of Jeremy's brochure for the Range Rider for that person.Rk.
I have never seen a brochure for a Jeremy Torr Range-Rider, do you have any pictures?

GrahamJohnWallace":30n2gnyi said:
roadking":30n2gnyi said:
…. see the images on the cover of Jeremy's brochure for the Range Rider for that person.Rk.
I have never seen a brochure for a Jeremy Torr Range-Rider, do you have any pictures?

I'll scan and try posting later.

Rk.

roadking":he5auspu said:
GrahamJohnWallace":he5auspu said:
roadking":he5auspu said:

I'll scan and try posting later.

Rk.

That'd be great Roadking, look forward to seeing that. Thanks.

:D

Latest posts

Back