91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech

Exactly. I always thought it was very cheeky of Giant for instance who had a big US flag at the bottom of their seat tube with a small 'Designed in the USA made in Taiwan' printed underneath!

BG":qq16rrlb said:
What is the serial number?

Are the cable guides rivited on (I can't quite see from the photos)?

Does it have a press fit BB that is about 80mm wide?

And are the rear drop-outs smoothly filleted into the stays?

I'm asking as I've an Aluminium Gary Fisher Supercaliber from from the same era that's in an even worse state than yours: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33875 and while it has 'made in the US' and the American flag on it, I now believe it was made in Taiwan by the Fairly Bicycle Corporation alongside Redline AL60s, amongst others, and to me it looks quite similar to yours.

Here is some interesting (if true) reading about the origins of some bikes: http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Certainly makes you think.

oh and before I forget - darn nice job of putting it back together - I only hope my restoration(ish) ends up looking as nice - I've still got a lot of work to do yet though.

Serial G0030173 taken from rear dropout on mech side
Cable Guides are riveted
Rear Drop outs are smooth no welds or any sign of join
BB was std cups and axel, now Cartridge 68mm wide

Hope this helps :cool:

My serial number starts with an F, then the numbers are in 2 rows

If yours was the same I guess it'd be more likely they came out of the same factory - they may still do - G comes after F?.

Mine has a wide press-fit BB, though the cable guides are also rivitted and the smooth rear dropouts look the same too.

We'll probably never know, and does it really matter?

Enjoy.

Taken the Saracen for a 20 miler today in the nice sunshine :cool:

Stumbled across some arty Pigs in Bath which are very cool and though it'd be rude not to get pics by the Bike designs :LOL:

http://www.kingbladudspigs.org/pigs/index.php

26Sept08042.jpg

26Sept08041-1.jpg

26Sept08036.jpg

26Sept08030.jpg

26Sept08028.jpg

26Sept08039.jpg

26Sept08037.jpg

26Sept08025.jpg

Here's my '97 TerraTrax pictured up at Haldon Hill... minus decals as they fell off.... the headtube one and the 'Handbuilt in England' ones are still there :)
Saracen were very helpful with catalogue scans enabling me to verify it's year and also providing ideas for my next Saracen project :D :D :D

Attachments

• Saracen1.JPG
    Saracen1.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 3,591
  • Saracen2 (2).JPG
    Saracen2 (2).JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,592
Gravy Monster":3u49l0q3 said:
Ziggy":3u49l0q3 said:
I like! :cool: How does it ride?

It Rides well and if was new, I kinda like the long stem and high saddle , The frame is short but not too bad, The brakes are very powerful and the only concern I have is the amount of flex between canti bosses which is norm. Its good for Wheelies though :cool:

Dont Break yours up as they are so unique, Maybe there should be a Saracen of the Month :?: :?:

Saracen of the month, i like that idea alot ;)

Latest posts

Back