1991 Diamond Back DB Axis LE

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
Found this today - a Diamond Back DB Axis LE. The guy I bought it off had it handed down from his mum, who bought it new. Nice one mum! Love the squiggly paint job and the neon decals.

I think it's a 1991 model (but can't be sure). Also, does anyone know what the 'LE' designation means (was it sold as frame only or something?).

As expected there are a few non-standard parts on it (it was on slicks, and the chainset is recent) but the rest is all Deore DX and Araya RM-17 rims. Also, the saddle is missing its lycra, but it's dated July 1989 so I might get it re-covered.

I slung on the Mythos tyres and gave it a wash and it's come up nicely. I'll get around to a more thorough examination and a good going over with a paint restorer in the coming weekends.

Attachments

• DB Axis LE 05.JPG
    DB Axis LE 05.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DB Axis LE 04.JPG
    DB Axis LE 04.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DB Axis LE 03.JPG
    DB Axis LE 03.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DB Axis LE 02.JPG
    DB Axis LE 02.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DB Axis LE 01.JPG
    DB Axis LE 01.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,105
Nice find
Great when these old bikes turn up out of the blue
If your saddle is an avocet you can usually pick them up
Off the forum or flea bay.

Re:

Hey Bowser,

No branding anywhere on or under the saddle mate, just the date. I was thinking an Avenir saddle.

Hey guys.

Yep, the top tube is nice and oval where it meets the other tubes. I wouldn't have thought that would warrant a special mention ... but I've probably seen lesser features highlighted on other bikes.

The condition is really nice and it looks to have had an easy life. It's mainly a case of polishing what's already there.

It needs a DX chainset putting back on, and I'll replace the stem and seat post (which are pretty scruffy). And an Avenir saddle will turn up somewhere (or I'll re-cover the old one). What tyres would this have had on it - Tioga Farmers maybe?

It's the nice little touchs on these bikes that make them so special along with the good racing pedigree ..

Back