1991 Diamond Back Axis

You're right about those tires, I bought a 'time capsule' '91 Ascent for cheap just to get my hands on the NOS Dirt Dawgs it came with.

You're right about those tires, I bought a 'time capsule' '91 Ascent for cheap just to get my hands on the NOS Dirt Dawgs it came with.

Looks like the Axis/Axis Pro and Apex came with Smokes and the lower models with Tioga tyres in ‘91. Glad I’m not not the only one who’s bought a bike just for the tyres! I’ve done that a few times 😂

Looks like the Axis/Axis Pro and Apex came with Smokes and the lower models with Tioga tyres in ‘91. Glad I’m not not the only one who’s bought a bike just for the tyres! I’ve done that a few times 😂
Yeah been there; I bought a huge 94 Gary Fisher Advance for the Tioga Psycho 2s to put on my Ascent EX just to match the pink 🙈 then gave the Fisher to my neighbour who’s 6ft7” 😂
Would this T bone stem suit your Axis? Or are you after one with L-shaped hanger routing under the stem rather than straight through it?

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Would this T bone stem suit your Axis? Or are you after one with L-shaped hanger routing under the stem rather than straight through it?
For some reason I had convinced myself it was a 1” quill I needed, thanks for making me realise it’s actually 1 1/8”! That would probably be fine, I’ll see if I can find the one with the hanger, but I’ll probably buy that one on eBay in the meantime!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
For some reason I had convinced myself it was a 1” quill I needed, thanks for making me realise it’s actually 1 1/8”! That would probably be fine, I’ll see if I can find the one with the hanger, but I’ll probably buy that one on eBay in the meantime!
Yeah I noticed you’d put 1” but 25.4 is the one in this case 😉 did you sort the Avenir bars? If so it may be an option to keep it cheap and Avenir for now with this stem till you find a nice T bone…

This one has come down in price and has some very cool internal cable routing!

Last edited:
Please join and post nice of you bikes as I’ve just started a Retro Diamond Back FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/163775069611393/?ref=share_group_link
A “Show us your Diamond Backs!” thread is a great idea too! 💡 I’ll get it sorted! 😉
Done ✅

Latest posts

Back