Another French beauty I can't afford

FairfaxPat":3uk7v56m said:
I always thought those cars were cool, but the BUTTON coming out of the floor for a brake pedal never engendered much confidence-that and the single spoke steering wheel are truly French engineering!

I havn't driven a DS, but I'm guessing the brake is similar to the CX in that the amount of braking force is regulated by pressure rather than mechanical leverage....takes a little to get used to but when you do its brilliant.

Harryburgundy":3dvdikcx said:
FairfaxPat":3dvdikcx said:
I always thought those cars were cool, but the BUTTON coming out of the floor for a brake pedal never engendered much confidence-that and the single spoke steering wheel are truly French engineering!

I havn't driven a DS, but I'm guessing the brake is similar to the CX in that the amount of braking force is regulated by pressure rather than mechanical leverage....takes a little to get used to but when you do its brilliant.

Spot on there. The brakes are fantastic. When I get into my wife's modern Polo my first thought is always "These brakes are pathetic". The single spoke steering wheel is there for a purpose - it's designed to collapse away from the driver in an impact (and the spoke is offset to the outside of the car in the straight ahead position to roll the driver towards the centre of the car under impact). Remember this was designed before seatbelts were fitted to cars.

Other innovations included pressure to the rear brakes that varied with the load on the suspension, the turning headlights (1968 model and later), engines designed to go under the car in an accident, crumple zones, and brakes that had no flexible hoses to maximise efficiency. This was done by having the front (discs - a first for a volume production car) brakes inboard and using articulated unions for the rear brake pipes movement.

I came into this thread expecting to see a dusky brunette....

Imagine how quickly I exited it again,.

And of course the most impressive...the cars ability to drive on three wheels.
No really...I had a 100+mph rear blow-out driving my CX, was driving under a bridge at the time and thought some idiot had thrown something on the roof.
Carried on for a few miles at the same speed before deciding to stop and check. Not much rubber left on the LHS rear :shock: Amazing, just didn't feel any difference when driving it.
My bottom lips quivering now...I WANT A CX AGAIN :(
:LOL: :LOL:

Harryburgundy":pe3elw6p said:
And of course the most impressive...the cars ability to drive on three wheels.
No really...I had a 100+mph rear blow-out driving my CX, was driving under a bridge at the time and thought some idiot had thrown something on the roof.
Carried on for a few miles at the same speed before deciding to stop and check. Not much rubber left on the LHS rear :shock: Amazing, just didn't feel any difference when driving it.
My bottom lips quivering now...I WANT A CX AGAIN :(
:LOL: :LOL:

Ah, yes. The 3 wheel stability miracle. We'd had our DS for about 2 months (before its refurb) and were doing "a good motorway speed" along the M40 when the offside front tyre blew (we'd hit something, I think). In any other car, we'd have been on a merrygoround ride, probably finishing either in the central reservation or on our roof. But, thanks to the DS' "centre point" steering geometry, all we noticed was the road noise got a bit louder and the wheel trim fell off. We were able to continue until there was a gap and we could get to the hard shoulder to change the wheel. The car helps you do this as well - put the suspension on high, undo the wheel nuts, put the chock under the chassis, lower the suspension (this lifts the wheel off the ground), change the wheel, raise the suspension, tighten the nuts, remove the chock, set suspension to "normal", drive off.

On to CXs for Carl - how about either of the ones listed here? a series 1 Pallas
philcx.JPG

or a series2 GTi?
remycx.jpg.JPG
Both are gorgeous, and the Pallas is currently tempting me to sell my BMW 528 touring to get it as a daily driver.

You evil man...showing me those :LOL:
They both look lovely. My last was a black (best colour in my opinion) Series 2 GTi. Fantastic car....fast enough with a great spread of torque. Series 1 look nicer with the chrome bumpers etc and of course, the fantastic inverted tumble drier speedometer...but more prone to rust.
If I had the money...no...when I have the money I will go for an Australian spec (no vinyl roof) Series 2 Prestige with VIP interior..the chevon cloth one rather than the leather which looks a bit DFS.
I hear good things about Medway....do you know them?
Cheers
Carl

Hi,

The size of that lpg tank is just mad!Our 67 Amazon is going for a conversion soon and i hope we don't need to house that big a tank?

I don't know if the tank needs to be a particular shape ie cylindricle? I am sure one is available that is a large ring that will go in wheel well or such like. A good idea for the DS estate jobby would be have someone Fab a flat tank that would cover the floor space to a depth of a few inches. Rather than something NASA would disgard from the shuttle on launch.

Cheers,Al

Talking bollox again probably!!!! :D

Back