Early 50s La Gazelle - Eau-de-Nil 🛠️ The Merlot Aftermath 🍷

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
It's official. I got brainwashed by @Guinessisgoodforyou , @Mickeyspinn and @M_Chavez and chemically abducted by a strong poisonous force.

The proof is I'm an owner of an old green incomplete French bike from a charity shop. I've dabbled in these before, and I've said never again unless it is really worth it.

Reason for buying it was complicated at the time, I was vulnerable and thought the close ratio chain-set was whacked out and the whole gear system represented the antithesis of todays bike industry. The decision was made to buy it without getting further involved 🤦‍♂️ I need another French bike project (already got one totally off-track) like I need more of that utterly dreadful Merlot. All morning as been spent deciding if it's worth to even start. In fact a pattern is developing. Neither of the French bikes I have have wheels. I really should learn by now that hoops are critical for a bike to work.

Well it is going to be worth it I hope. And for the record I'm sober right now. This is the stuff of dreams and can't be more French.

1662307838474.png

@torqueless - informed me it's not green, but Eau-de-Nil. Any mention of green from 05/09/2022 is forbidden.

Last edited:
Only just got my shit together. New play list on the mp3 player, tools out and arranged, ancient Nikon D70 fully charged.

1662311540507.png

The dismantling plan is clear in my head, but I just heard the 19:00 bells so I'm forced to stop even before a spanner as got near it.

Only just got my shit together. New play list on the mp3 player, tools out and arranged, ancient Nikon D70 fully charged.

View attachment 658540

The dismantling plan is clear in my head, but I just heard the 19:00 bells so I'm forced to stop even before a spanner as got near it.
Teased by the darn bells 🙄 I'd just grabbed a cold one flopped into my comfy chair to get down to bizniss....pfft merde!

Dismantling plan of action was:

1) Unwire and take off Dynamo first. That way, any crimp damage to fork would be known early.
2) Rack off. Same again, any crimp damage to rear stays would be known early.

3) Mudguards. In France to be an astronaut, you need to demonstrate you can mount and unmount French mudgaurds.
4) Brakes. You have no choice. See (3). Nightmare. Not ashamed to say I struggled.

This evening, I got to this point with only one 1664. Going to eat and drink now and will sort through the pictures.

Next steps remaining.

5) Chain. Normally I do this at (0) but I'm a little bit apprehensive and thought I'll attack the transmission in one go after some reading.
6) Gears.
7) Seat-post - soaking in WD40 as pre-caution before being ham-fisted and twisting the leather saddle off it's rails.
:cool: Stem & bars - soaking in WD40 as pre-caution before having an hernia.
9) The horrible bit - cotter-pins and crank :eek: :eek: Hate them. Often I mess them up.
10) Bottom Bracket.
11) Headset.

Quite lucky really - nice previous owner kept the bike pretty clean, so I didn't even bother with a basic clean before jumping in.

Last edited:
Cotter pins. Loosen nut towards end of thread. Place oversize nut at other end. Place in vice. Wind up until an almighty "CRACK". That's how I've done it. Not forgetting loads of WD40.
If unsuccessful, don't call us - we'll call you.

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
Back