How to tell if brake levers are V compatible?

LittleSkink

Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I'd say not.

The difference between cantilever and V-brake levers is the distance between the pivot and the cable attachment point.

For example, this is a cantilever brake lever:

15693.jpg

This is a V-brake lever:

shimano-xt-m740-v-brake-lever-set.jpg

Notice the extra distance between the lever pivot and the cable attachment point. With a V-brake lever, you get a lot more cable pull for a given amount of lever movement.

Re:

Dia-Compe PC-11 are canti brakes.
That particular style is design with gripshift positioning in mind (the big flat wide clamp section)

Re:

If you are interested i have 2 pairs of slightly later Dia Compe levers with adjustable cable positioning allowing them to be used with either canti OR V brakes.
Pm me ;)

They are for cantis.
I have some Direct-Pull Dia Compe 7. Which are for V brakes, I have seen a pic on this forum of the
direct-pull and power-control, I think they look the same except the pivot point.

Re:

Now that's interesting and i'd be interested in some dia comp levers for Vs if their still availlable ..

Back