Cyclists 'don't obey road laws' bbc website

This is all-round bad news. A terrible tragedy at the hands of an irresponsible p*ick. The branding of all cyclists as evil law-breakers. Car drivers can feel less remorse than ever for mowing us down. It's almost a public service now.......

amt27":35lsojan said:
and it gets worse,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 301595.ece

incidentally i caught the end of this on the local news at 10.30pm, nowhere to be seen on the bbc news website and took a fair bit of googling to find

Yep! That makes sense. £275 for the life of a cyclist through negligence. £2200 for the life of a pedestrian through negligence. How much for the life of a car driver.......? Imprisonment.

The injustice is sickening.

Hang on a second - that girl was in the road, not on the pavement, therefore she should have got out of the way :!: Yes, maybe he could have averted the incident, and may be she would ahve been run down by a bus later on that day - if it's your time it's your time IMHO :idea:

Don't get me wrong, this was a tragic incident, but you guys seem to be jumping on the same band wagon as the drivers you are moaning about :?

I am sure all of us have incidents with w***er drivers, but i have also seen some w***er cyclists, and usually on road bikes not mtb's :roll:

All road users need more education on all modes of transport, be it car, bike or horse :shock:

Any way, that's me done.

have hoardes of angry villagers armed to the teeth with rakes ready to go ....heheheh....ps nearly had one of my pupils in cycling lesson this morniung nearly get run over by car reversing into the road...another car didnt bother to slow or stop and drove onto the other side of the road nearly hitting her .the car missed by 12 inches ...did he bother to slow down afterwards ...no!.i just wish that people would lookbefore the move ie cross roads or drive properly...but it wont happen...im reminded of the story about a man eating croc called gustaf in africa.people would be getting eaten by the croc when ever they went swimming in a certain part of the river.one woman said her husband got dragged away in front of her when they went swimming.guess where she was a week later ......yup back in the same spot swimming.the moral is we dont learn our lessons unless it affects us personally...but by then its too late...its the old wont happen to me story evry time...thats why things will never change....(my little grump over now.)

This cyclist should have stopped. Shoutting 'I'm not stopping' Is not the right attitude. Some times cyclist as all other road users have to stop for red lights, other road users crossing etec etc

Exactly- doesn't matter if she was in the road.

To mcobie, whether or not he had right of way there is no excuse for anybody to plough into another person just because they don't like slowing down. If it were a motorist that had hit her you wouldn't be saying "She should have got out of the way" you would have been calling it manslaughter, and it isn't any different for cyclists or anybody else.

the blokes defense lawyer said the girl moved back infront of him as the rest of the group moved out of his way, but that means nothing as he was found guilty,

at least in the case of a cyclist being killed by a lorry driver, the victims can take action through the civil courts and claim recompense off the drivers insurers,

a few more incidents of cyclists hitting pedestrians and we will all have to get insurance,

It sounds like Jason Howard was not being a nice person. It doesn't matter if the girl was in the road, he should have avoided hitting her if at all possible. Pedestrians are allowed to cross roads, and although it's a bit annoying that they never seem to see (or hear) cyclists and often step into the road and get in the way a bit, they're not breaking the law.

My sympathy is totally with the girl's family, the sentence does seem unjust. He wasn't cycling dangerously, he simply mowed her down because she was going to slow him down a bit! It's disgusting behavior.

It's all about taking responsibilty for our actions. In this case all he had to do was stop. Yesterday I nearly rode in a 'walker' in the rain. Pop out from behind a car. Pulled on the maguras and just stopped. she put her hand out to stop me. It was close as her fingers touched my neck. So no harm done. She said sorry. Both parties cool. Should I have rode into her? I think not. She didn't look but I was going too fast for busy slow traffic. So if i had hit her it would have been my fault.

Back