Konfused Kona - 1999 Kona Caldera

Low pitched saddle, short and low stem - is it some sort of aerodynamic downhill pose you're going for? ;-)

I was just imagining me trying to ride it - I think my back would go on strike after 2 minutes! (I know it's yours so if it works for you then that's all that matters).

I think it may be the camera angles :?

The stem is 100mm and could come up a touch but I don't feel stretched or too low. The saddle is level IIRC.

I am rubbish at photos so lets put it down to that :LOL:

Actually managed to get out on this recently.

Sadly I think its time to retire the frame, it just feels too small/short.

I had tried prolonging this by adding the mahoosively wide bar but alas this hasn't worked.

Seen in the flatlands of Brandon ..... possibly for the last time :cry: :cry: :cry:

looks perfect in its latest guise, but that's some seatpost showing...

on an aside how did you get on with the m770 cranks & bash - I have one with a raceface bash & seems too close to the chain (rubs on big chainring to little sprocket), only way out I can see is fitting some washers under the bash ring :?

letmetalktomark":wzaiptza said:
Actually managed to get out on this recently.

Sadly I think its time to retire the frame, it just feels too small/short.

I had tried prolonging this by adding the mahoosively wide bar but alas this hasn't worked.

Seen in the flatlands of Brandon ..... possibly for the last time :cry: :cry: :cry:

My I be so bold and ask how tall you are? What's your inside leg? I'm trying to think what sized frame you might need - the set up is extreme to say the least.

Well I just can't do it .... retire the bike that is.

Its the Long Mynd meet this weekend so I thought I would dust down my trusty Caldera, make some changes to contact points and riding position and give her a whirl :)

A few pics whilst it was sunny:

Using a stem with some rise feels really weird but it seems to work well.

Testing time will have to come on the trail though :? :shock: :LOL:

I should add despite not having grown since buying the bike new I can't help but feel I do look a little like this whilst riding it ...... :LOL:

2009tony_solon.jpg

Great news that you haven't retired the frame! That bike has to much retro cool to never see the light of day!
Be interesting to see if the changes work on the trail?!

ha! I'm the same. I'm 6'2", i've got a couple of 19" konas, both with a country-mile of seatpost out and long stems.
I now ride an XL 29er, which is the 1st bike that actually feels like it fits, it's also in proportion.

Yep. With you all the way. I think the smallest modern frame I now have is 20.5" :)

The Kona frames always look smaller that they are. Still there is no getting away from the ST being just 16.5" CtoC!

Back