All about Formula Brakes and their 4 bolted hubs

I got a set of evoluziones...unfortunately they're IS mount and the rear has a 160mm rotor. Fit the fork fine (contrary to the talk that DHOs were FS mount they are actually IS bolt spacing), but I need a FS (48mm) mount caliper in silver and a 140mm 4 bolt rotor. Anyone!?

Hi, just got hold of a set of red formula brakes and hubs

bikefe10.jpg

72863710.jpg

bremss10.jpg

Original dust but still working, shot bearings and missing rear axle. Discs have so much play it is a miracle they still hold.
So looking for a rear axle, the hubs service manual, original skewers, small discs, ... :D
Thanks

Someone gave me a few years ago a strong wheelset (Mavic D521) built with Carbonio hubs and a 180mm/ 140mm rotor combo but I have stopped using them for a while.
I am thinking of using them again on a dual suspension bike (not extreme riding though) and my question is about the actual quality of the rotors (the original aluminium/ steel ones). I have used them a few times with some Shimano calipers and once at the end of the ride there was a very steep road downhill for a bout a mile that required almost constant braking. Although I kept pumping and releasing, by the end of the road, the front rotor was so completely warped that it was rubbing badly. After cooling it for a few minutes, I braked once and it went back to normal. This did not give me much trust in it though.
Is it a common problem or do you think it was due to a bad pad/ disc combo ?
I am planning to use them with some Hayes calipers now.
Should I be better off replacing the rotors altogether?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Eric

I would say that you should use discs/pads/callipers of the same era. Mixing generations will probably lead to the kind of issue you already experienced, too aggressive pads eating discs, too powerful callipers warping discs, ...

Another 4 bolt, Hope this time, but anyone know the rotor size, as it doesnt match a 4 bolt modern front hub i have ,which i think is roloff pattern :?

Why go 4 bolt when you can go 3 :shock: :LOL:

Attachments

• Hope Timeline through design changes 014 (Custom).JPG
    Hope Timeline through design changes 014 (Custom).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,352
Re:

Just got a nice set of red closed ones:
p4090010.jpg

The later 51mm width.

I am still in need of adapters (48.5 or 51) for a non disc frame and for a Judy/Sid + this elusive rear Carbonio axle, anyone ? Thanks

Re:

Great old thread for old sucky disc brakes :facepalm:

So, these antique formula brakes came on my precious Sunn Exact 97
and being not overenthusiastic with there performance I went
bananas and swapped just the levers, closed originally to the open
lever.. questions is - can I do that? or will mr. Murphy come get me??

Attachments

• IMG_3178.JPG
    IMG_3178.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 1,545
  • IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,545

Latest posts

Back