Wookiee's 2012 Santa Cruz Highball Alu FINISHED PAGE 2!

al-onestare":3m5z4rdu said:
Excuse my absolute ignorance of anything post 1997 ;-) but what does the clutch function actually do?

Joking aside, I try and kit out the commuter with more modern components, so I'm curious.

It does actually work for a start! The clutch makes the rear mech kinda lock out and stops the cage arm from bouncing around when riding whilst still allowing the mech to shift. Therefore eliminating chain slap on the chain stay as it keeps the chain tensioned. You can switch it on and off, you need to switch it off to remove the rear wheel. I though it was a bit of gimmick (hence I still have the neoprene chainstay protector on!) but it does work and as a by product is quieter too!

I know they do them on XTR and XT mechs not sure about lower down the range...hope that helps.

Doug

That's a really nice looking bike. I like the white and the white saddle (but then I have white bits on my bikes.

Re:

Thought it good form to update the bike build with a 6 month report! I still love this bike, much more as I have learnt its handling and how it is best set up for me. I have now put around 500 miles of offroad riding into this badboy and it hasn't failed to provide all that I want in a bike. Yeah sure I have had a couple of issues running tubeless tyres but that was a learning curve that I now feel more experienced about! The Bonty MudX tyres that have been worn through the wettest winter for a long time, performed very well and I have nothing but praise for the grip. I have recently changed to "summer shoes" again in the form of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and it rolls a lot easier!

The drive train is outstanding and is crisp and clean sounding even after the muddiest/gloopiest rides! (That could be down in part to the "Muc off Wet Ceramic lube" great stuff and smells like the sexwax board wax I used to use BITD!) I haven't tried modern SLX or XT so I only have this to go on and its just smooooooth! The brakes are just awesome too really easy to bleed/service and would stop a JCB lol! I have only recently had 1 issue to report on the Fox forks...they seized up and would not move at all. But after a brief bit of TLC and re lubing they are currently back and working as they should...Thinking that a service would be a good thing though!

I have changed the saddle from the white Syncros one to my "retro" Selle Flite. The Flite just accommodates my meat and 2 veg better! I can't put it any simpler than that! The grips are now Odi Ruffian and they work well for me too.

I used to say if it was just one bike it would be the 1991 Team Marin...now I just couldn't decide! It would have to be two! The perfect retro ride then the perfect modern ride!

That said offroad, allday, night rides...I would reach for the Santa Cruz!!

Doug

Santa Cruz rules. Nice ride.

Earlier on you mentioned a possible colour change. I've seen a few bikes and bits that were wrapped to change colour. Works really well has lost of extra options and it leaves the original finish intact and in perfect shape too.

Enjoy!!

IbocProSX":3ptrctaq said:
Santa Cruz rules. Nice ride.

Earlier on you mentioned a possible colour change. I've seen a few bikes and bits that were wrapped to change colour. Works really well has lost of extra options and it leaves the original finish intact and in perfect shape too.

Enjoy!!

Hmm a colour wrap? How well do they wear? How much would a bike wrap cost?....interesting!

The ones I saw on carbon frames and suspension fork lowers looked to be plenty robust. And I'm sorry but I have no price information. I'm in Holland BTW so imho you need some local to you intelligence.

Enjoy!!

Re: Re:

wookiee":2bpz3e7o said:
I have only recently had 1 issue to report on the Fox forks...they seized up and would not move at all. But after a brief bit of TLC and re lubing they are currently back and working as they should...Thinking that a service would be a good thing though!
This really puts me off Fox forks - apparently they have a 20 hour service interval. I'm no fitness freak but even for me that's only 5-10 rides / a couple of weeks.

Re: Re:

superstu":2hrb9vqg said:
wookiee":2hrb9vqg said:
I have only recently had 1 issue to report on the Fox forks...they seized up and would not move at all. But after a brief bit of TLC and re lubing they are currently back and working as they should...Thinking that a service would be a good thing though!
This really puts me off Fox forks - apparently they have a 20 hour service interval. I'm no fitness freak but even for me that's only 5-10 rides / a couple of weeks.

...its 30 hour intervals but still thats every couple of months which does seem excessive. I hear that Rockshox are more fit and forget?

Back