Royce Hubs

i can answer that a bit as i have a set of these hubs.

i have 3 bikes with hope hubs, 2 of those pairs are hope pro2, brilliant hubs, no doubt about it, easy to service, look good, last well,

but, i wanted something different for my bike, "King!" i hear you say, well yeah, great hubs, available in an array of good colours, but god i hate the sound they make! that annoying freehub sound especially when setting the bike up on the stand, makes me want to be deaf!

also, with my build i wanted something english if possible, Royce was the obvious choice, i only intended to have the normal hubs, the polished silver alloy versions, i bought the racing gold ones because they are a beautiful bit of kit right the way through, from the CNC machining, to the polishing, Ti-nitriding, and the tolerance is i believe better than any other brand, also small touches like being able to grease the bearings with out stripping the hub, an ingenious old fashioned part of the design which i think is great, also, if like me you got the chance to buy them from Cliff himself, not only is he a good salesman of his product his passion for what he is doing shines through like the finish of his hubs.

there is also the individuality and poncy-ness of them aswel, i don't deny that, are they as much better as a fiesta against the ferrari? no, but if you can afford a ferrari you probably wouldn't buy the fiesta would you (for the record i think fiesta is not a fair analogy of the hope hubs but i just continued it)

:)

^ exactly what jonnyboy666 said! And for the record I also have 2 bikes that both have Pro IIs and they are excellent hubs. I've been mountain biking for long enough to spot a beautifully made product and there are many components I wish I could have afforded when I was younger that are now no longer manufactured. I now have the means to buy this stuff without too much worry - and so do.

The point about "Al [sic] alloy hubs look just as nice and should be lighter and just albeit made in taiwai.???? [sic]" is probably a reason that small volume, crafted CNC components are harder to come by these days (though the overall benefits of cheaper, more reliable mountain bike componentry on a large scale for the general consumer can't be denied). However, small outfits that manufacture products with passion still deserve support - especially as many innovations arise from these areas.

Yes, perhaps my analogy was a lazy one, but my point is that of course there are cheaper hubs that do a similar job (hence me clearly stating that the Royces are an extravagance etc etc). Make no mistake, I did not buy these hubs thinking they would be faster or lighter - I bought them (in addition to the other reasons listed) for their reliability, something that having amazing tollerances cartainly does contribute towards.

"When it comes to bicycle parts, I always put performance, function and cost before form and bling" - well done you, but just as you don't care what I spend my money on, nor do I care about how you go about deciding to spend yours. :)

I am reminded of this;

"Just Because."

Stunning. I aspire to a set of (regular) Royce hubs for my Unicorn ride.

Rob1":39myiqgx said:
^nor do I care about how you go about deciding to spend yours. :)

good coz I don't care that you don't care..
smiley-eatdrink030.gif

There has to be some reason he was selling to the olympic team. And it funds the pedal car racing too. Always a laugh. I used to walk past Royce on my way to my friends house.

Rob1":1xo0p2ez said:
Will probably build them onto a pair of carbon rims in due course.

A pleasure dealing with Cliff at Royce. I don't think I'll need to buy another set of hubs

Agree with Royce. It's strange how some companies are hardwork to deal with.
Wish they made carbon parts such cranksets etc then I wouldn't look to Europe.
Finding a shop to build my carbon Ti versions is proving as hard as the gold coating.
glad they don't have the Hope loud click cassette which is very annoying as on my other set of wheels.

Re:

I had quite a long conversation with Cliff, a while back, he invited me to call in the works if I was ever in the area.

These hubs are on my list of things to buy if I ever get enough spare cash.

He really is very helpful,it was a pleasure to talk to him.

Quality sells itself.

Back