Deep Drop Calipers or Extension Piece

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I have a frame built for 27" wheels but need to fit 700c wheels. This makes the caliper drop 65mm :shock:

There's plenty of so called 'deep drop' calipers but they all seem to have a max drop of 57mm. The only calipers I can find which cover a drop of 55-73mm are Tektro or Alhonga which look a bit cheap :|

I've also seen extension pieces used on the rear bridge although I don't know what happens on the front fork?

Does anyone know if these extension pieces are available anywhere to buy or have any other options for 65mm drop calipers?

Alhongas and Tektro are alright with better blocks. If they're the Alhongas I'm thinking of they're a bit of an arse to center though.

The extension thingies are called "drop bolts", dunno if you can actually buy them. Sheldon Brown used to make them himself.

Google Campagnolo drop-bolts and see how much they go for and you'll decide a pair of modern, deep drop calipers are a darn sight cheaper.

Thanks you for the 'drop bolt' tip off. Although I won't be paying Campagnolo prices!! If you can even find one they seem to cost around £75!!!

Anyway, I've had a bit of a result in the shed of dread :) I found an old pair of CLB calipers and they have the perfect drop!

I can vouch for tektro R559s. Don't be fooled by the price; they are every bit as good as higher end brands.

Back