what is it, cant find anything!

70's ........the dual / suicide / death / GT brake levers died in that decade. Tragedy was I worked in a bike shop at that time and had to set them up :)

If not UK then might be later but some of the kit will be date stamped.

Shaun

Don't need to change the levers..........just don't pull on the extensions and expect to stop anytime soon....... use the proper ones |:)

Shaun

Midlife":21nnvnrr said:
70's ........the dual / suicide / death / GT brake levers died in that decade. Tragedy was I worked in a bike shop at that time and had to set them up :)

Dunno about that, Raleigh kept em till at least 84.

Great for hack bikes, who wants to get into the drops just going out for a loaf!

if it was Raleigh, would it have been made in Germany? was simplex good componentry of the time?
any ideas where I could find some hubs for this?

Hubs will be available in many places - ebay, the sales section here and numerous web sellers. Decide what you want and search about OR post in the Wanted Section here and see what comes up.

It might be wise to set a budget as hubs can vary from a few pounds to upwards of £150 - depending on what you want. Also, it might be better to buy a set of built wheels - this sometimes saves on cost.

Enjoy the build,

Richard

retroad87":243mhrov said:
the plate where the rear brake bolts through it says made in Germany E56E

That's ESGE the accessory people - most of their products are called SKS these days.

good job you boys know your stuff! I'll try and get some more pics to identify the frame.

as for hubs, is it pretty standard for this age of bike for sizes? Im only after something to get running and looking New. do you know what I need to be looking for? louder the better!!!

Option 1 - clean, polish, regrease current hub (it fits)
Option 2 - buy new

If Option 2 - do you need new rims? Then you need spokes. Then you need them built. Irregardless of the cost of the actual hub, the other costs must be factored into your decision.

Polish is around £5 - £10 depending on what you want.

Ponder that,

Richard

the rims are chrome and I'm bringing them up pretty well so I'll keep them. New spokes anyway as the existing are dull. as for the hubs Im not sure whether they'll come up. not sure on the material as to to use. Wanted to find some for an idea of cost to weigh up whether to bother.
Is there a dealer/online shop that specializes in the older stuff. Isit a particular name/size of hub I am looking for.
thanks

Back