Alan frames - Cyclocross - Users experience - Comfort ?

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am contemplating buying a Alan cyclocross frame

I had a sort of distrust against aluminium frames because their "fame" for comfort is not widespread :LOL: ( truly I don't know)
but I have read that these alan frames are actually comfortable

but are they because of their bonded structure ( like the vitus 979 which are said to be quite flexy ) or not ?

they also seem to be quite frequent and appreciated in "cyclocross past" ,is there a specific reason ?

Furthermore , I have read that for these alan frames , tubes were not only glued but also had a thread so better for solidity over the long term than the vitus glued only frames.

So comment welcomed on these alan frames :idea: ;)

Go for it!!;Classic frame
I commute on a '95 model fitted with the original alloy forks.
Correct in that they were screwed & glued.I have experienced no issues with flex as the cast bb has thick flanges.
It really is a do-it-all frame as you can fit tyres up to 32/35c for winter bombproofness or narrower for racing.
Cantilever brakes are also superior for stopping ( I fitted frogglegs)
I've even got a (removable) rear rack & mudguards fitted!

Good luck

Attachments

• alan cross frame 004.jpg
    alan cross frame 004.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 959
  • alan cross frame 007.jpg
    alan cross frame 007.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 959
I raced on an Alan back in the 80's, in their heyday. If you compare them to modern bikes they are as flexible as a wet noodle and therefore require a different riding style, but they do allow for more than acceptable performance if you are a lightweight rider. If you are well over 10 stone, or are one who likes to tromp on the pedals, it is most likely not the best bike for you. They are known to have issues with the lugs cracking, especially the headlugs, so do check this out.

Citoyen du monde":187qy3wp said:
I raced on an Alan back in the 80's, in their heyday. If you compare them to modern bikes they are as flexible as a wet noodle and therefore require a different riding style, but they do allow for more than acceptable performance if you are a lightweight rider. If you are well over 10 stone, or are one who likes to tromp on the pedals, it is most likely not the best bike for you. They are known to have issues with the lugs cracking, especially the headlugs, so do check this out.

I am just 11 stones so probably on the safe side ;)

but I actually consider it to build a comfortable city bike so will not use it for a speedy racer :LOL:

I like the wet noodle analogy though :idea:
now wet noodle can be al dente ( in italy ) or mushy (more the french way I actually hate)
how do the english cook the noodles ? :mrgreen:

I rode quite a large Alan back when I could climb. Yes, the bike flexed, but it was a sort of helpful flex, the sort that to me anyway, felt as if it was springing up those long Welsh mountains.

I can definitely recommend an ALAN cyclocross frame. Flex is not a problem when used for a CX bike, definitely if you manage to find one with the oversized front fork. The reason for these frames for being so popular is because they were way lighter compared to vintage steel CX frames.

Here is mine. I use it for riding mountain bike trails mostly, so it is plenty strong.

8313218829_8bc4395f92_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back