1996 Orange P7 Nickel

Re: 1996/97 Orange P7 Nickel

Hi, just registered on here because I have seen how good your bike looks, I have a 1996 p7 which I have had from new, it's still in get condition but would like to restore it.
How much roughly did it cost to re lacquer? And what kind of place does that?

Also looking for some pace forks if you have any idea where I could find some?

Cheers

Re: 1996 Orange P7 Nickel *UPDATED 13/2/14*

Ahem....more updates on this ever revolving build... :oops: :D

Fingers crossed, I think I now have it EXACTLY how I want it (he says..)

Needed to sort the front end out as the SK9 stem was too long sadly and didn't look right, plus all the spacers showing made it look a bit ungainly.

Plumped for a modern ControlTech 'Newton' stem in the end: 1 1/8" (so needed a stem shim from eBay), 120mm length with 5 deg rise. A 31.8mm bar clamp size meant the previous SuperCross bar was surplus to requirements, but this gives me better options in the future as a 1'' headtube limits things somewhat.

imgur

adult image

screen capture windows

Steerer then chopped down to leave only a 5mm spacer now. You can see how odd it looked in the above piccy.

New handlebar was a Crank Bros 'Cobalt' - 680mm and slight 15mm rise. A bargain from CRC I think, under a tenner. Snazzy box as well!

screen shot on pc

photo hosting sites

Sold the original seatpost and shim and, after learning the hard way that the frame takes a 29.6mm post rather than a 29.8mm one :cry: , it was a lot easier to get a 27.2mm post and shim it...

ControlTech 'One' seatpost picked up, with a USE thermoplastic shim (29.6-27.2)

print screen windows

screenshot tool

screen capture software

Also, new Oury black grips were picked up as well: an absolute bugger to get on, a potent mix of hairspray on the left grip and GT-85 on the right one eventually stuck them down :D

So, latest pics taken today - to paraphrase Steve Redgrave, shoot me if I continue tinkering with it..... :facepalm: :D

screen capture freeware

screen capture software

photo hosting

screen capture software

screen shot software

Cheers, matty :D

Re: 1996 Orange P7 Nickel *UPDATED 13/2/14* Page 7

That, Sir, is one utterly beautiful P7 Nickel. Sublime, very classy treatment indeed. And nicely photographed too. More of this sort of thing please.

Re:

gorgeous bike!

question: Would you know about what year those Mavic XM 317 rims were manufactured in, plse (I found a pair of the same exact rims, that I've laced up for my Brodie Romax build ... but had no idea what era they are from)?

Re: Re:

k-rod":27xhoxz4 said:
gorgeous bike!

question: Would you know about what year those Mavic XM 317 rims were manufactured in, plse (I found a pair of the same exact rims, that I've laced up for my Brodie Romax build ... but had no idea what era they are from)?

Hi mate, they were new ones from Merlin cycles bought online.
:D

Re:

This time I was too chicken to build my own so I got the XM317s (black inner rims) from Merlin with SS DB spokes on black LX hubs (about £109 pair). Ideally I wanted an all silver wheelset but the options were out of stock at the time and I needed wheels fast. From ordering to delivery, Merlin turned the wheel build round in 4 days. Since August 3rd, I've been commuting 165 miles per week plus weekend trail rides and the wheel build is still rock solid. Would recommend Merlin, particularly because of their good customer care attitude throughout the process.

Re:

Lovely build there dossa :cool:

just picked one of these up .... its a minger :oops:

if it turns out a quarter nice as yours ill be happy

Re:

Still going strong 3 years after last posting...

Rides better than ever, too!

Only a few tweaks to the spec:

* Salsa 'Guide' stem 100mm x 15deg
* Panaracer Mach tyres
* SRAM PG850 cassette 11-32t
* SRAM PC870 chain
* Middleburn/ TA Specialites / Onza chainrings
* Koolstop V Brake pads
* Hope stem cap
* On One Half Bob lock on grips

free image hosting

Hopefully a good few more years left in the old girl yet... :D