Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks ,
Being the kind hearted soul that I am , I offered to help out a workmate down on his luck ,in rebuilding his early '90s GT Tempest . I took the bottom bracket out ( original ? was a cup and cone offering ) and measured the axle length at 117/118 mm with a 73mm shell width . As this seems an odd size , I just wanted to check with the GT enthusiasts amongst you that this is the correct size . I did try to polish a bit of the frame just to see how it comes up , fantastic ! Maybe my next project will be a Zaskar ! I like quite a racey riding position , what do you think ?
All help appreciated
Mike :)

Pretty sure all GT's are 73mm BB shell, I know my 2 are and so have any I've had in the past. There are others, like Trek I think that use 73mm shells. It's probably 73 x 118, depending what chainset he is running?

And yes, buy yourself a Zaskar and get polishing! I have a little Avalanche that needs that treatment, just haven't had the time yet this year.... :roll:

Thanks clockwork,
A former friend swapped chainsets without him knowing . I found out when I took the old one off and saw it badged up as a Saracen piece of crap held together with plastic ! :facepalm: Was going to stick some Shimano jobbie on it when I find one . Also after a 7-speed Shimano compatible rear wheel if you hear of anything like that going . Will put an ad up . Cheers mate
Mike :)

If you are staying with the same crank that came off the Tempest you need a 73x118. Bottom bracket spindle length is dictated by the crank you use not the frame. If changing cranks on that tempest research and find out what the manufacturer recommends for the spindle length for that crank.

Back