Age appropriate parts?

isitafox

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Starting to look for some bits for my Peloton but I'm completely useless when it come to road gear. It needs new tyres, rims, rear mech, pedals and I may change the brake levers and built in shifters.
I'm hopefully gonna get the part number off the mech so I can locate an exact replacement but I'm stumped with the rest. The rims and pedals are the main problems, do I just get some modern pedals that work with whatever shoes I buy?
Seriously need some advice!

I just turned 50 so all of my parts are age appropriate.

But seriously, I can help but first will need to know the approximate age of the bike...

Steven

The other question, naturally is intended use, will it be a rider or a restoration project. I am very particular with my restorations to make everything down to the brake cables period correct, if possible. (I have a whole drawer full of brake and derailleur cables dating back to the 50s) Conversely if the bike is going to be a rider then I am much more forgiving, particularly when it comes to ease of operation and comfort.

Ok so your Giant most likely is running Shimano which is plentiful and relatively cheap. Plus you don't have to stay in the same group as long as the running gear, shifters cassette and rear mech, are all of the same generation (i.e. 8 speed.) The rims I would go with are Mavic MA 40s since they were very popular and look correct on a early 90s build. Pedals are a bit of a personal taste issue. I prefer look which works well with the now vs. then issue because the delta cleat was used for almost 20 year. Also the float in the look pedal is in the cleat, red vs black, so you can have some float on even a first gen look pedal.

that is a good start at any rate

Sounds good, the drivetrain is full campag gear. Not had a proper look round it as it's sat at my dads house whilst I make some room for it but it'll definitely be a rider replacing my cheapo modern roadie. It's just too nice to not use in my opinion!

Back