Another Fox in Da Stable - Courier Comp

Archemist

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A 19" 1990 Courier Comp in pebble-dashed fluorescent lime.

A slightly impetuous local buy (for the LX pedals!), had an idea I'd cull it to get the Alu Team up and riding (to see if it suited / fitted mainly) but haven't the heart to let it go to waste.

Unfortunately the bike's been stood next to a sand blaster as you can see.

The paint is hardly faded at all which makes the damage tragic. It's entirely original (exc saddle), everything works and is in good nick!

I'm intending to hand paint "in" like chips-away, cut, polish and lacquer, just to see how good I can get it :)

I seem to have acquired a complete black m560(?) LX groupset which may now find it's way onto this as a 'stealth' pub bike :LOL:

Typical dash damage

TBC :cool:

Having stripped it all down I've treated all the open wounds with Bilt Hamber DeOx Gel so they're all back to good metal, then touch in some electox zinc primer and it's out with the humbrol :)

The DeOx gel really works and doesn't appear to damage the paint or lacquer. Use tiny modelling brush to drop in a dollop of gel...

Looks the same colour as my trekker. So looking forward to seeing what humbrol choice you make!

Humbrol 208 is the base fluorescent Signal green but will need lightening, I've grey and white primers and white, black gloss, satin, yellow and thinners so far.

Started experimenting last night - the MF paint is slightly translucent (fluoro colours often are) and so it's getting the colour of the top coat and the primer that's key. I may try tamiya acrylics too.

It's never going to be perfect but it's more a well let's just see shall we...

It's funny but my Courier Comps paint has chipped in a similar way.

Have you got out on this yet? I rode my 1990 Pathfinder for 6 months nearly everyday on my commute and was put off by the overly long stem and geometry that made the handling ponderous and hurt my neck as I was too head down and trying to look forward all the time.
You may not get on with this and with a colour matched stem it sort of loses it's allure if you swap it for something more comfortable.
1990 was a real marmite (more hate than love though) year for Muddy Fox and I think it hit them hard in sales of the higher end bikes where people really cared about geometry and ride and it wasn't just parents buying their kids one for Xmas.

Carl.

Back