today, i filled my rear tyre with grass.....what do you do?

Re: today, i filled my rear tyre with grass.....what do you

Neil":3u3y7gg3 said:
Trebz":3u3y7gg3 said:
BITD I used a Marathon wrapper to get me home and that was half way around a Levisham . Goathland loop. Hehe.

I've got to ask, it's been itching at me for a day or so - how did you use the Marathon wrapper (and props for accuracy, it would have been Marathon BITD, and not "Snickers" (spit))?

Likewise :LOL:

zetecmk2":r3p6x1cj said:
apart from the obvious "take a tube/etc" answers.
i was only riding to a horse show about 7 miles away....psssssss!!!!
remembered a write up in a mag about emergency repairs......so i filled my rear tyre with grass......got me home!!!!
it was a bit hot to not be riding. i had nothing to loose.....and it worked!
what have you done to get home? :D
Didnt Missy do that and ran into a few problems? ;)

Out in Afan a couple of years back a mate ripped the tyre sidewall...we used part of an old punctured tube one of us had from earlier and used that to patch it from the inside...the new tube inflated to keep it in place.

Not only did it get him home but it got him down the final decent of The Wall quicker than most!

Not quite a trail fix but: 20 years back, Forest of Dean, my mate hit a gully at speed on a cheapish borrowed MTB and bent the rigid fork blades so the wheel nearly touched the downtube. We got the slightly taco'd wheel going again and continued our ride. Back at the car park we removed the fork, jacked up our car, put the fork under a car tyre straddling two bits of wood and used the vehicle weight to 'press' the fork back into shape. Next day my mate returned the bike and if i remember correctly the owner never knew..

Always take a strip of toothpaste tube out with me as a quick fix on split sidewalls. Had to give some away at Llandegla a couple of years ago when a downhiller had a blowout.

Tie a very tight knot in the tube, the wheel goes bump once every revolution and will generally need re inflating every couple of miles but it will get you home.

RadNomad said:
Next day my mate returned the bike and if i remember correctly the owner never knew..
Until the substantially weakened fork failed & the owner smashed his teeth out. Remind me never to lend you a bike...

futuristicoldman":398vtzk3 said:
Tie a very tight knot in the tube, the wheel goes bump once every revolution and will generally need re inflating every couple of miles but it will get you home.
this works if you have a pump with you :cry:

TSC.":2j3phuoc said:
RadNomad said:
Next day my mate returned the bike and if i remember correctly the owner never knew..
Until the substantially weakened fork failed & the owner smashed his teeth out. Remind me never to lend you a bike...
[/quote]

Yes it was a rotten trick but we were jackass teens and it was my mate's choice as he'd borrowed the bike. BTW, as requested hereby be reminded not to lend me a bike, even though i'm not asking.

Once mended a puncture with a piece of carrier bag and a boiled sweet for glue. It worked perfectly and I forgot about it until I had to mend the next puncture months later. :shock:

Back