Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Looking good Karl. Don't turn your back. The moment you do the weeds will counter attack like mad.

Here are a couple of pictures of our other plot. It has mainly soft fruit, squashes and peas/beans on it. We had our first serving tonight! Also the first pound of strawberries have been picked!

The first one is of the other plot. Potatoes are still growing. If we can avoid the blight, I'll maybe have a look to see how they're getting on soon.

I feel smug each year I put my French beans in. The trick with the twisted rope came to me in the middle of the night one year. Feel free to copy it. All you need is two posts and a length of rope. Just twist it wit one end attached to a hammered in post. Give it plent of twists and pull tight and hammer the free ends into another post. Now just put your bamboos between the twists and push slightly into the ground.

The whole structure is pretty firm but can still move so isn't rigid enough to get blown over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 209
Quietly tucked away in the border at home, Lychnis Coronaria Molten Lava – first flower out today. Amazing what brilliant sunshine can do. And the Sambucas which started life as a six inch cutting is now tree-like with clouds of tiny pink/white star-like flowers.

Attachments

• sambucas-nigra-black-lace.jpg
    sambucas-nigra-black-lace.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 207
  • lychnis-coronaria-molten-la.jpg
    lychnis-coronaria-molten-la.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 207
Mark - you have a fine erection there....

Howard - Lovely flowers! My favourite combination in our garden comes about in spring and is a combination of greater stitchwort, red campion and muscari. Got lots of hedge woundwort at the moment which is fabulous for 'carder' bumble bees.

grumpycommuter":1ai1ao9e said:
Mark - you have a fine erection there....

Howard - Lovely flowers! My favourite combination in our garden comes about in spring and is a combination of greater stitchwort, red campion and muscari. Got lots of hedge woundwort at the moment which is fabulous for 'carder' bumble bees.

Fine indeed and amazingly organised I must say too. You guys have made great progress.

I'm well behind on my plot this year after a combination of successive things going awry. The back garden at home has become a 'walled' kitchen garden whilst I clear and level the plot at the lotty for next year ahead. Most of our onions rotted away through the prolonged cold damp wintery weather this year. All is not lost there however, as we should be OK for potatoes. We've done well for rhubarb so far and should do well from our mini orchard, assorted currants, gooseberries, and other berries.

Glad you like the flowers Karl. We live in a modern 'compact' two-up-two-down town house on a hill. There's five to six feet between the front door and the pavement which was just roughly landscaped by the builders. This get full sun, so with this unused municipal space, we created a raised bed herb garden on one side of the front path, and on the other side, put some turf down to make a wild flower meadow, 2ft x 3ft. There's a mix of things in it. At the moment the Welsh Poppies, Campanulas, and Fox and Cubs are up.

Not strictly allotment based as it's my back garden, but I found these little guys this morning whilst thinning out the base of some bushes. Anyone any idea what they are? They are attached to a sort of woody bowl-like tuber.

1053432_10151700295552778_2008782002_o.jpg

1049125_10151700295517778_513546669_o.jpg

Baby Triffids!

I don't know what they are, interesting little fellas for sure.
They're definitely up for some climbing/strangling action!

apache":2ihncl5i said:
Not strictly allotment based as it's my back garden, but I found these little guys this morning whilst thinning out the base of some bushes. Anyone any idea what they are? They are attached to a sort of woody bowl-like tuber.

1053432_10151700295552778_2008782002_o.jpg

1049125_10151700295517778_513546669_o.jpg

These are Cyclamen seedlings.

Latest posts

Back