1998 Kona Hahanna restoration... first timer!

markwashington":236ylvpk said:
If I was you, I'd put on a seat and give the bike a bit of a blast. That's the best way to check what needs to be replaced. It could well be that it just needs a good clean. A new set of forks will totally transform the bike, you'll find that you can do so much more with a good set. The best thing with modern forks is that they often come with a lockout, so you have the best of both worlds. If you don't want to spring for a Reba straight away, you could always pick up a cheap pair of later bombers. The MX range were really highly rated and a decent set can be picked up for about £40-50 on Ebay. They're easy to adjust but don't have a lockout. 80mm is the amount of travel that the frame was adjusted for (the RST's you have on there have 63mm travel), however many have run a 100mm fork on theirs using a shorter stem. I'd do away with that stem/headset combo and get a better headset and stem, these are really cheap here. Other than a fork, the bike will be fun to ride. The frames are pretty good and deserve to be built up. I used a 1999 Hahanna for rides for five years and it never let me down!

Wow, you guys are amazingly helpful! Cheers!

The stem and headset combo was my next question. Where do I measure to make sure I buy the forks with the right steerer length? Stems and headsets are a new world to me also! I'll do a bit of research on the 'Bicycle Tutor' and YouTube.

Measure headtube on the bike and add minimum 7.5cm really with aheadsets, 35-40 mm for each (headset and stem). Longer is better as can play around with spacers etc. Aheadsets are dead cheap just got a non flashy one from Chain Reaction for nine quid. Stems on here will be easy to get a nice one for a tenner.

Thanks! Will measure up after my first ride on it in years on Wednesday!!!

I'd like to get a stand / clamp... Any suggestions?

When you say 'on here', you mean the for sale section? What kind of length stem would be good for the type of travel forks I'm looking for? I'll be riding xc and a bit of trail.

ok bike stands are to be honest..not that cheap. there is a famed ALDI.. yes the discount supermarket chain, which just appears without notice.

here is merlin cycles selection
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... orkstands/

they do however make life so much easier, if you do a lot of home mechanics

without judging your tech knowledge you might be best going to a bike shop and ask for a new headset to be fitted. the removal tool is cheap to buy and makes life so easy. its just a bit of split pipe. really easy to use. it involves smashing the old headset cups out the frame. Fitting a new one is a pain in the arse. it can be done at home with a block of wood and a hammer. or more suitbale is a threaded rod, some big washers and tightening nuts. However it can not only damge your frame but also your nice new headset when done wrong.

I meant put a wanted ad on here yes. Need to ride the bike as it is, measure the stem and see if you want longer or shorter. Shorter speeds up steering but too short and it will feel twitchy!

dablk":s9c3qvns said:
ok bike stands are to be honest..not that cheap. there is a famed ALDI.. yes the discount supermarket chain, which just appears without notice.

here is merlin cycles selection
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... orkstands/

they do however make life so much easier, if you do a lot of home mechanics

without judging your tech knowledge you might be best going to a bike shop and ask for a new headset to be fitted. the removal tool is cheap to buy and makes life so easy. its just a bit of split pipe. really easy to use. it involves smashing the old headset cups out the frame. Fitting a new one is a pain in the arse. it can be done at home with a block of wood and a hammer. or more suitbale is a threaded rod, some big washers and tightening nuts. However it can not only damge your frame but also your nice new headset when done wrong.

Thanks mate, I checked out the link and there are some good options. Turns out my brother in law has one... I've asked him for a loan!

I'd probably take the headset in to be honest, I'd rather not botch my first attempt!

Is there anyone in particular on here who supplies some good kit?

Also, could you tell me this Gil guy's full username so I can contact him about some stickers...?

What do you guys think... should I get the Kona resprayed? It's probably my least favourite thing about her... the RED (although it is kind of retro, you don't see RED on many mountain bikes these days), I'd probably go black, replacing all stickers with original designs. Let's face it, she needs a facelift, she has scuffs and chips, the usual. If I'm going to respray, should I just go all out and choose a colour I like? Feels like I'm doing her a disservice!

I've actually just decided, I'll keep her red, just BECAUSE you don't see red very often... :LOL:

coomber":67btqb85 said:
I meant put a wanted ad on here yes. Need to ride the bike as it is, measure the stem and see if you want longer or shorter. Shorter speeds up steering but too short and it will feel twitchy!

Great, I'll bear that in mind!

I'll write up a list on Wednesday (after her ride!) and see what I can find in the for sale section.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
first thig you need to do is measure your own headtube..just the metal bit painted same as the frame..not inc the headset cups. then we can think about which headset for you, look online and add the "stack height". This gives us how much steerer you need BEFORE we think about spacers and stems. This we will need to do before we settle on a total steerer tube length.

so its time for the tape measure.

Back