A quick stem question from a newbie... (sorry...)

caferacer

Retro Newbie
Hi guys/girls. I have an old Raliegh Lizzard which I'm runnung single speed and slicks as a commuter bike.

I want to fit a stem with a longer reach and steeper angle. I assumed my stem size was a 1" but when I measure it, its showing 21.1.

According to wiki/google thats 'old American bike sizing' and eBay looks like they're all for BMX's?

So to run a 1" quill stem will I need a new head set or do they even exist for my frame?

And will the I/D of the stem on the forks be 21.1 too?

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

I had a similar problem on an Activator, seems to be a common Raleigh size, however i did remove the original headset and install a 1" threaded and changed the forks to 1" and then it was easy to sort a stem out from there.

hope you get sorted :)

caferacer":2sm9y7nn said:
Cheers bud, the only shame there, is I'll lose the matching coloured forks...
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah true, I just went for some plain black 1" threaded from ebay did the job and didnt look outa place.

The wanted section on here is worth a punt in both cases - if an RB'er hasn't got a part it their box of bits no-one has.

Seen Brittains Biggest Hoarders? Think a bike version and you have the average RB'er.

From memory the frame has a 1 1/8 headtube with a reducing headset down to the 21.1mm fork...

Just to make things easier.

standalone

Back