presta or shrader valves in the 1990s?

chillibiker

Retro Guru
Hello I am in the finishing stage of restoring a proflex 978 and was wondering what was more commonly used in the 1990's presta or shrader? Thanks for any input

From memory I "thought" that presta was in more common use on road bikes first
then it was picked up by the MTB'ers (manufactures really) I always thought that
presta was a bit more fragile/fiddly than shrader, but presta held the air better (allegedly) :?

My self I'd fit shrader to a early 90's bike.

I've bought Mavic 217's drilled for presta and schrader so like mikee says really - both. I think I used to find that in my local bike shop the lower end stuff would fit schrader and the better quality presta. tbh though, fit either imo. :)

My road bikes were all Presta, MTBs were usually Shrader, as that is what I bought. I built up most of my bikes from second hand frames so it is more to do with personal choice I guess. Higher end MTBs tended to be Presta from the showroom, more to do with legacy as MTB was new and a lot of manufacturers were coming in from producing road bikes, and logically due to narrow rims in some cases.

Never had issues with either, but I like being able to use garage air and the footpumps we always carried in the vehicles.

Never considered it a high end/low end thing generally, but I can see why it would be, but not because one is intrinsically better in my view.

Higher end were always Presta but quite frankly I found them utter toilet contents. The valve stem kept getting bent and then leaked air plus the protruding valve stem would leak air if you so much as looked at it as you attached the pump. Schrader are king as far as I was concerned plus tubes were often cheaper due to low end heirarchy. Mind you having to drill your rims valve hole larger if it was a higher end rim was a pain :roll:

Back