Serotta T-Max early 1990's

gis_guru

Devout Dirtbag
Purchased what i believe to be an early 1990's T-Max but it is hard to tell as the bottom bracket had some deep scratches on top of the Serial Number. It looks like SM530 1033 or maybe 1003 can't really tell. I may try a bit harder before I send it off for paint. If anyone has an idea of their meaning I would appreciate it. I have already talked with Allan Wanta about a florescent pink to orange fade and I am having the original fork painted as well as a Judy XC I have. I will probably build it with the Judy but keep the original just in case. Sadly the seatpost and stem were so corroded that I had to use lye to dissolve them. It was a very cool chemical reaction but the caustic fumes probably shortened my life even through the mask. I was a bit sad to have to destroy the stem but everything seemed to be installed with a sledgehammer and loctite. I also had to cut the non-drive bb cup out. Lots of work but I really should be worth it once I find the parts to build it.

Oh the joys of saving a classic.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• t-max.JPG
    t-max.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • t-max Serial.JPG
    t-max Serial.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,159
Hi,
Here is mine, a 1991 T-Max. I think yours is also a '91
I don't know the s/n, will check it on Sunday.
I hope you are way over 6ft. Your frame is big... I am 181cm tall and mine fits well.
Cheers,
Chus

Attachments

• IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,125
gis_guru":3dwec3bb said:
Sadly the seatpost and stem were so corroded that I had to use lye to dissolve them. It was a very cool chemical reaction but the caustic fumes probably shortened my life even through the mask.

If it reassures you, in theory it should just be hydrogen coming off, which is flammable, but not toxic. I didn't wear a mask when I did it last year and I'm not dead yet.

Nice looking frame by the way, definitely worth the effort. I'll look forward to seeing the pics of the repaint.

Chus, thanks for the info I like the black with yellow decals.

King, thanks for the reassurance. I was mostly being a bit dramatic. I am certain I probably do more damage using cleaning products in my bathroom. I do find it reassuring that someone else has used this method and didn't die. As an FYI I did need to do several applications of lye mixture as I diluted it far too much the first couple of times. When I mixed it 2 parts water to 1 part lye the reaction was far more energetic, even after reading all of the descriptions I was still surprised by how much heat it gave off.

I have the 2 bottle cages that seem to be original to the bike if anyone is interested free to a good home provided you pay the shipping. If your near Omaha NE we could arrange a pickup or drop off arrangement and they would then be just plain free.

Chris

I have a fillet-brazed Santana Moda with that tubeset. You are really going to like that bike......

Back