Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Some good work put in there BCM! Most of the weeds look like one offs in as much as they spread via seed. The worst are, (feel free to add to the list so we can make up a rogues' gallery):

Bindweed. Horrible roots that snap and spread.
Couch Grass. Called Squich in the Midlands. Roots like spaghetti!
Nettles! Ouch. Fairly easy to get out though.
Sedge Grass. I had a couple big clumps of this when we cleared the plot. 5 years on and it is still there!
Horseradish. I know, we planted it and it has been a battle to stop it taking over. Nice stuff though.

Thanks dude!

following your advice, as well a a few others, we moved the horseradish into its own pot/bag

we had a few more hours down there today, I think i'm broken now.

4-NECorner_zps6e13a497.jpg

4-SECorner_zpscef29348.jpg

Sweetcorn, peas, Dwarf French beans, Broadbeans, Horseradish in the plastic bag.

Cabbages and Caulis' Leeks and a few other bits to go in. we couldn't find any spuds..i suspect we may be too late

Morrisons are good for spuds :D

Cracking work there Bobcat.

One for the rogues gallery...Horsetail or Marestail

and Mark...as for the flea beetle and Nicotine, will you be applying very small patches to them?

Earthed over some spuds on Saturday for the first time, had to seek advice from a fellow plot holder and i passed!! Runner bean, sweetcorn and pumpkin seedlings are shooting up. Peas are in as well....

grumpycommuter":2m1q7qji said:
BobCatMax":2m1q7qji said:
Mr and Mrs BCM are now the proud tenants of an allotment..

it's a bit of a state, and we spent some time yesterday afternoon clearing a section and getting some garlic & courgettes in. Expertly project managed by GreenRabbit, I might add.

Welcome aboard Mr and Mrs BCM :LOL:

Spike3 - Hows your plot going?

Allotment is looking good BobCatMax. Looks like you've got a good aspect and level plot. Hope all goes well.

Karl – aiming to post some pics of allotment progress at some point this week. Its been a busy old time on fronts recently. And there's just not enough hours in the day, it seems.

groovyblueshed":z0lhmrxo said:
grumpycommuter":z0lhmrxo said:
BobCatMax":z0lhmrxo said:
Mr and Mrs BCM are now the proud tenants of an allotment..

it's a bit of a state, and we spent some time yesterday afternoon clearing a section and getting some garlic & courgettes in. Expertly project managed by GreenRabbit, I might add.

Welcome aboard Mr and Mrs BCM :LOL:

Spike3 - Hows your plot going?

Allotment is looking good BobCatMax. Looks like you've got a good aspect and level plot. Hope all goes well.

Karl – aiming to post some pics of allotment progress at some point this week. Its been a busy old time on fronts recently. And there's just not enough hours in the day, it seems.

Looking forward to the photos Howard. I know what you mean about not enough hours. My place of work is 1 minute walk from the plot which means i'm spending more time watering and tending than actually doing anything that earns money :)

Runner beans are in and canes are up...cucumber seeds are in, toms are in, spring onions are in. Still only 2 / 5 ths of the plot are under cultivation. I'll post up a piccie of the stuff we are digging out :roll: nettle, couch grass, bind weed and marestail roots all jumbled into a thick mat!

We have been busy too. So, in has gone runners, (I dig a huge trench first), squashes, marrows and lots of other stuff.

Iwasgoodonce":2k588ykr said:
We have been busy too. So, in has gone runners, (I dig a huge trench first), squashes, marrows and lots of other stuff.

Sounds good.
Got squashes, marrows plenty of other things sown and stashed in 4 walk in mini greenhouses at home – just got to level the ground at the allotment at some point.
To speed things along, I've got a variety of crops in large tubs and planters at home. Repurposed some old Ikea 'Sten' wooden shelf panels to make a few metre square planters in the back garden.

Karl – aiming to post some pics of allotment progress at some point this week. Its been a busy old time on fronts recently. And there's just not enough hours in the day, it seems.[/quote]

Looking forward to the photos Howard. I know what you mean about not enough hours. My place of work is 1 minute walk from the plot which means i'm spending more time watering and tending than actually doing anything that earns money :)

Runner beans are in and canes are up...cucumber seeds are in, toms are in, spring onions are in. Still only 2 / 5 ths of the plot are under cultivation. I'll post up a piccie of the stuff we are digging out :roll: nettle, couch grass, bind weed and marestail roots all jumbled into a thick mat![/quote]

Spent most of the weekend over the lottie clearing and digging like a crazy thing. Disturbed a muntjac deer that was nestled in the forest of brambles on my plot – it sprang out and bounded over everything then over the chain link fence – quite a sight.

Spent the day in an air conditioned office in Wimbledon looking out at the lovely weather wishing I could be at the lottie or pottering in the garden with the chickens. Small mercy is that the bike's back in action now so I can introduce an element of fun en route as I commute and save a pile of cash. Just got to watch out for random golden retrievers deciding to dash out in front of me – was barrelling along downhill...

You need an allotment bike with a big basket! We have a Pashley tricycle that we are tempted to fit a big basket on..BUT...i have 2.5 mile hill to get up before i get to the plot. That in itself is ok but the front drum / caliper brake combo is pants and i would most certainly kill myself on the way home :)

Was it chasing a loo roll?

Latest posts

Back