Guess what? A frame ID request

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have an unidentified frame that I have acquired. I've not really got anywhere with trying to work out what it is, so any help greatly appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=258662

Ritchey+%25282%2529.JPG

Ritchey+%25281%2529.JPG

Ritchey+%25283%2529.JPG

Something familiar about that seat lug. Can you post pictures of the dropouts? Also, is that number on the head tube the only marking or is there a serial number elsewhere?

As a very curved ball... fat chance? (T)(R)iple (B)utted...

I'm sure a few of them had the 105 headset as stock too. That paintwork just reminds me of the wicked model. looks plain low gloss at a distance but, has a more detailed effect to it at closer inspection.

just saying, with brands like chris chance you have to get it right....or it's to the gallows! ;)

Could be anything, most frames from the 80's if Japan or Taiwan built came from a limited number of factories in very similar styles and often badged by several factories. Triple butted if thats what the letters mean could still be anything, Bridgestones from then were sometimes triple butted.

Thank you for the replies, here's a few more pics:

Rear dropouts:
Ritchey+dropouts+%25281%2529.JPG

Fork dropouts:
Ritchey+dropouts+%25282%2529.JPG

Better picture of the top of the seat tube:
Ritchey+dropouts+%25283%2529.JPG

The stamp on the head tube is the only mark I can find - if there's a serial number anywhere it's either very well hidden or I'm very unobservant

Ritchey dropouts are found on any number of manufacturers frames. The colour matched Tange fork makes me think mid to late 1980s.

The paint is in such good shape I'd almost think it was a recent re-coat, the presence of the headset but no decals also points that way - if it was a NOS Japanese frame from Toyo or one of thge other big factories it would just be a bare frame/fork - big NA and European manufacturers would often order the frames from Japan and then decal them before assembling the bikes in the country in which they would be sold.

Sorry, I should have been clear that the seller had repainted it himself before he sold it to me, so the colour is a bit mis-leading. He told me (indirectly, hence the lack of clarity) either the previous colours or decals made him think it was a Ritchey, which it obviously isn't like and I assume he was actually influenced by the dropouts.

Latest posts

Back