Weinmann 500 Brakes

Wright_payne

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Looking for a side pull set with recessed bolts and quick release circa early 1980's. Levers would be nice too.

Regards

Ian

As I recall they won't have recessed bolts and QRs in early '80s - I have some 500s here that are 1987 and they don't!

Prove me wrong by all means! :LOL:

If you check out the 1983 Raleigh Rapide rebuild on here I think you will find they were. My 1982 raleigh catalogue for the previous model Rapide also lists recessed bolts and quick release in the spec.

The 500 was probably available in both varieties - just different lengths of the spindle through the middle.

An exposed nut version would be OK as the threaded part can be tapped further and shortened as appropriate.

Thanks

Ian

Think I might still have some 500s with recessed bolts, but probably from late 80s. Will have a look tonight. Also levers to go with, but without original hoods. Would late 80s do? Did they change the styling round then?
Nick

Nick,

That would be fantastic - looking to get (another) Rapide back to original spec so providing they look about right i.e. have 'weinmann' and '500' cast into them and are Q/R then I'd be happy. Shimano on at present which are not right. Similar hoods are available in a nearby cycle shop so will have to make do with reproductions.

I'll get some photos sorted out and post up about the journey I'm about to start!

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

I've got the following:

1. 1981 500s, no QR, not recessed.
2. 1983 405s, QR, not recessed.
3. Early 80s levers, drilled, no hoods.

Sorry they're not quite what you're looking for. I thought these were recessed, as I had them on a recessed frame...

All functional, but the brake blocks are a bit worn. Pic below. Sorry they are so dirty; I'm embarrassed. They easily polish up a treat though.

Nick

Attachments

• 17052013738.jpg
    17052013738.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 282
Nick,

thank you for your trouble - not quite what I'm after.

I do have a fairly new 405 set already which are really close to the 500's but not the original spec for the bike I have.

If anyone else is interested feel free to contact Nick.

Cheers

Ian

Back