Any clue on value or being desirable?

Tpsfoto

Retro Newbie
KHS Special Vintage Racing Road Bike 18 Speed combinations , 53 cm ~ Japanese Steel ~ 27.5” wheels ~ NICE! Suntour VX Front and Rear Derailleur , Side Pull Diacompe brakes, Friction Shifters …..Bike shows no signs of age, in new condition Late 1970 to early 1980 model. ???
All original, except for new tires, new brake pads and brand new bar tape.
This was a real “barn” Find early bike in spectacular condition.

Any clue on value ??
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpeg
    IMG_1202.jpeg
    560.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 55
KHS is an American brand. The bike itself is Taiwanese rather than Japanese, if memory serves. The Schrader valves, the reflectors and the kickstand all point towards American customers as well. Late seventies, I'd say.

A nice example of a well-made lower mid-range bike in beautiful condition. Not high end or collectible, but someone will like it. No idea of value in the US. In Europe €100 max?

Does look lovely, I have to wonder how truly original it is just having noticed the rear skewer. It looks like it's intended for a later 135mm ATB/MTB hub (lots of thread sticking through) but still a sweet looking machine.

Hey there, all thank you for responding. It does specifically say made in Japan nowhere does it say Taiwan?
Also, on the physical frame, it says Japanese steel.
The person who originally owned it was fairly old, and he had it inside his house, and quite honestly did not look like it was ever ridden

As non-fixie said, this is a dependable, mid-range late 70’s Japanese steel classic. Reliable, tough as nails, sweet looking, but not worth too much. Where I live (west coast US), one in this condition would fetch between $200 and $300. It looks to be mostly original and is the oldest KHS I’ve ever seen!
Japan was on fire in terms of quality and parts by the time this bike was made. The SunTour equipment was the perfect balance of everything one wanted in a shifting system. This was one of the millions of Japanese-built bikes sold in the US and Europe from the 70’s bike boom all the way until the 1990’s that helped synonimize Japan with quality. That one looks very nice — if it’s your size it could make for a good townie conversion.

Hey there, all thank you for responding. It does specifically say made in Japan nowhere does it say Taiwan?
Also, on the physical frame, it says Japanese steel.
The person who originally owned it was fairly old, and he had it inside his house, and quite honestly did not look like it was ever ridden

In that case it is most probably Japanese. :)

And there's a good chance the serial number will tell you when and by whom the bike was actually made. Have a look under the bottom bracket and check your findings against this list:

Asian Serial Number Guide

In that case it is most probably Japanese. :)

And there's a good chance the serial number will tell you when and by whom the bike was actually made. Have a look under the bottom bracket and check your findings against this list:

Asian Serial Number Guide
In 15 years I will be able to duel T-Mar in knowledge. Everything I learned in school must go… only old bike stuff is allowed to take residence in my brain! 😸
Thank you dearly for that link! I somehow did not stumble upon it yet and now I have my hands on the world’s most valuable cheat sheet since the Rosetta Stone was deciphered.

Back