Does anyone think that bands

Isaac_AG":2mrcvieg said:
Should write there own songs? JLS and One Direction are just crap XFactor made rubbish that would not know what a real song was if it hit them not like the Rolling Stones.

Alison

This disgusion goes way back to the birth of Rock n Roll in 1950's, when the record labels dictated the way artists worked and what their out put should be. I'm sure you are not old enough to remember the likes of The Monkees in the 60's and the Osmands in the 70's are you? ;) The record companies have always acted to extract pocket money from kids as this is one of the biggest markets.

There has been and always will be a massive culture of 'real' music around the world. It's up to us all to find our little bit of it and enjoy!! As for sighting the Rolling Stones as some kind of roll model to kids.... hhhmmmm, I'd rather eat my own hair than listen to most of their output in the last 40 years!

As for me, I'm just as likely to be listening to Woody Guthrie, Subhumans, Alison Krauss or Alien Sex Fiend.... I even like The Spice Girls and have been known to sing along to Take That! A blinkered atitude to music is far more harmful to the soul that listening to JLS.... isn't it?

I think we should embrace the music we love.... the kids that are listening to One Direction today may be the ones that form bands later in life. Anyway, give them a break they're kids!

al. :D

Grrrrr Al. You'd not be saying that were one direction inflicted on thou every day. The only thing that stops me snapping le cd is the look of joy on the girls face as she dances away.

Mind you there's hope for the joy as he much prefers banging his head to proper music, but I suppose that's the only way to dance when yer two!
I'm wary of forcing my taste on them though as if they rebel against me they'll end up as church going Barry manilow fans.

I don't listed to music radio anymore as it all sounds the same (getting old). Rarely do I hear a new band that grabs my attention. Xfm was my main source of new sounds but now it's just another blah blah station. Hell, I was listening to kerrang radio the other day and heard ******* Coldplay!?!? It's a ******* rock station for dogs sake.

Just checked my I tunes and my last three purchases were mudhoney, dinosaur jr and Ben folds. Two guitar albums over twenty years old which sound fresher than ever plus some punk rock for sissys.

There's plenty of good modern music, but you really have to come across these bands before a record label does. So forget about the radio.
Once artists or bands sign for a major label, there's a 99% chance that they'll start to make the same pre-fabricated commercial nonsense as the rest of the talent-free nobodies in the "hit" parade.

As for writing your own songs : Bieber needed the help of 4 people to write "Baby" (Christopher Stewart, Terius Nash, Christina Milian and Ludacris). Freddie Mercury wrote Bohemian Rhapsody (lyrics + music) all by himself.
And while we're talking about those 2 : Dear Lord, if we give you Justin Bieber and all his fans, can we have Freddie back please?

Raging_Bulls":1mq94uky said:
There's plenty of good modern music, but you really have to come across these bands before a record label does. So forget about the radio.

Well, forget about Radio 1, in any case. I've discovered a bucketload of new stuff since BBC 6 Music started up, largely thanks to the excellent breakfast slot (currently hosted by the brilliant Shaun Keaveny, previously Phill Jupitus).

David

If you dismiss people who don't write their own material you dismiss most of Motown.

For that reason I'm out.

Although I'll admit to an appreciation of the Stones (I'll still regularly listen to Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil, You can't always get what you want, Time is on my side, and I suppose, even Satisfaction - if you'll forgive the Oxford comma for a second) - as a generalism, I think music should be enjoyed.

The only factor, for me, is that there's a listener who likes it, no more, no less.

Sure we can all talk about purity, talent, message, meaning, production values, creativity - but at the end of the day, what I like to listen to tends not to be confined by anything other than aesthetic.

Same for other things in my life - food, drink, retrobikes et al - the moment somebody tells me something is something that you appreciate by effort, learning, acclimatisation, or being an acquired taste, I completely switch off. All things to all people, it will not be - I don't want to be told, educated, or conditioned to appreciate something, it just is... or isn't, as the case may be.

al":sx030ozh said:
As for me, I'm just as likely to be listening to Woody Guthrie, Subhumans, Alison Krauss or Alien Sex Fiend.... I even like The Spice Girls and have been known to sing along to Take That! A blinkered atitude to music is far more harmful to the soul that listening to JLS.... isn't it?

I think we should embrace the music we love.... the kids that are listening to One Direction today may be the ones that form bands later in life. Anyway, give them a break they're kids!

al. :D

Al has it right :cool:

Back