1977 Carlton project

daugs":3cbtdxw2 said:
disappointed after popping into 2 local bike shops, one suggested a threadless but didn't really understand the JIS vs ISO issue but did dig out set of cups (but of questionable quality) if wanted to fix in, the other just suggested fixing in a shimano UN55 and when I said about stronglight crank and ISO vs JIS they suggested that I didn't understand as despite being Japanese it had English threads..............both shops too new...........

does anyone know a good old fashioned bike shop that's been there forever where they've probably got old box of bits or understand the issue. Also need a headset fitting and not sure I trust either of the above shops to do properly............

Most modern bike shops are pretty clueless when it come to old style bike fittings and parts, Ive been looked at before when enquiring about a particular part as if I talk Chinese...

Re: could it be A CLUBMAN

Looks very similar to my 1980 Clubman serial number is WH0000227
p3234126968-4.jpg

Re:

Yes Daugs:

8277163481_44285c3a36_z.jpg
[/quote]

Right about the 531 label there: should really read "frame tubes ONLY" but of course that would be unacceptable to frame builders. If it's all 531 the label will say so - "frame tubes, forks and stays".

Your label seems to indicate plain gauge i.e not butted frame tubes only from between about 1977-1982.

Hope this helps.

Back